PDA

View Full Version : wiring question

Digger
03-23-2002, 09:42 PM
I need to replace some wiring running up to the instrument panel from the engine comp't. There must be some tool, like a rigid wire on a spool or something to help run the wire through places where hands can't go. Any input would be welcome. (electrician I'm not...)
thx!

Formula Jr
03-23-2002, 09:56 PM
You're looking for something called a FISH TAPE. Avaliable at any electrical supply store and most well stocked tool stores. Its a metal flat wire used to pull wires thru conduit. An looks like an over sized measuring tape. A neccessary tool for rewiring boats.

Looped
03-23-2002, 10:00 PM
An electrician’s snake wire is what you need. It’s a tempered type of wire that has memory to spring its self back to being straight again. You can find this at a local electrician’s supply store or maybe a Hardware store. You could always go to a Home Depot and pickup a plumber’s pipe snake that is thin enough for you to run it down the gunwale, and feed wiring back that way too.

PS. Don’t use the plumber’s wire in the toilet first, otherwise you may have Scott P. running over to check to see if it’s a good batch for the attack :D

Formula Jr
03-23-2002, 10:06 PM
Also, there's some controversy over how wires are treated. Marine wire is tinned thru out its entire length under the insulator. Some people say to just use crimps on terminators. I soilder them. But, I've hear you should just crimp and then use either liquid electrician's tape - its a plastic, thick fluid you brush on, or thermal shrink slieves.

Looped
03-23-2002, 10:27 PM
Or if you already have the connectors attached at either end that slide on, use a light dab of lithium grease on the ends to keep the corrosion down :D

Digger
03-24-2002, 06:18 AM
Formula, Looped: thank you!

Rich
03-24-2002, 06:04 PM
Digger....
You can go to the Ancor & Blue Sea Systems web sites. Both are manufacturers of marine grade electrical supplies. West Marine has a good inventory of their products. There is also some links to the American Boat & Yacht Council (ABYC)
which sets the standards for marine electrics. I'm rewiring my 69 Donzi 7 Meter and my electrician buddy was of little help when it came to the particulars of wiring a boat.

Good Luck

RickR
03-25-2002, 06:41 AM
Electricans fish tape works great but for a cheaper solution a coat hanger or a length of solid copper.
I use adhesive lined heat shrink on my crimp connections.
If you need a lot of electrical hardware
http://www.sjproducts.com/ Minimum order is $150. Beware; if they are out of stock on a item, they'll hold your order till it's complete.