PDA

View Full Version : Bilge Pump for 1968 16 '

green16
12-09-2000, 10:35 PM
Guys, I thought it would be smart to change the bilge pump since the engine is going to be out. Does anybody knaw what brand bilge Donzi had at that time? Obviously an original is out of the question but at least I might be able to match the brand. Thanks

Rob
12-09-2000, 11:38 PM
I've got the original pump in my 71 and it's a Morse with an acompanying Morse automatic switch. You should have the Morse switch on your dash. From what I've heard from others your original pump should have been the same unit. It's a really heavy duty pump compared to the ones you buy today. I've got all the original literature that came with the pump. Let me know if you are interested in copies.

If you have the engine out, by all means take care of the pump. It's darned near impossible to get to with the engine in and the deck on.

green16
12-19-2000, 09:49 PM
Rob, Thanks for the reply. I haven't been able to check back in awhile. I am interested in photocopies of the manual. Any idea where I can get a Morse pump. I do have a pull-out/push-in type switch on the dash. Thanks

Rob
12-19-2000, 10:36 PM
I doubt they still make them, so you would have to try and get a used one from someone who put in a replacement. Even if it's not working, the pump looks like it could be rebuilt with new brushes and bushings.

green16
12-20-2000, 08:59 PM
Thanks Rob. I've put out a post to Richard Weaver. I'll also give a call to the Donzi factory. Maybe I'll get lucky. Green16

riesr
12-27-2000, 05:41 PM
I have a 67 16 and also have the engine out this winter. I am replacing the old bilge pump (not original) with a remote pump since it is impossible to get at the pump with the engine in. The new pump is over $100 but now can be fixed any time easily. There will be no float switch sine the boat is never really in the water for long periods of time. However in a hard rain water does come in through the hatch lip. I can get the make and model of the pump if you want it.

green16
12-27-2000, 09:35 PM
riesr,
Yes I would like the make and model No. of your pump. I'd like to have some choices so I can make the right decision. digitalman had a great idea about putting a second pump higher up in the bilge. I think I am going to do that.