PDA

View Full Version : Should I......fresh water boat in saltwater

Jamesbon
06-30-2000, 09:17 AM
Fellas,
My Donzi continues to be laid up while the engine is back in the shop. Now, I have an inboard ski boat and am thinking about dropping in the saltwater for the first time and keeping on the lift till the Donzi's done, but I cringe at the thought of "de-virginizing" her. Should I take the saltwater plunge, or continue to drive hours to a fresh water lake?

(I'm really most worried about the trailer, it's a custom tournament ski boat type, made of steel which is painted.....ouch!!)

Nate

RickR,GroveCity
06-30-2000, 04:57 PM
Jamesbon
A ski boat is going to ride kind of rough in the intercostal.
Once you dip that steel trailer in the salt she's GONE! http://206.150.187.82/ubb/eek.gif I'd say around 2 years.
Do you have a marina you can trust to drop her in with slings?
I'd look over the electrical system to see if it's salt water ready. Our local boat builders don't see much salt water.

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

DFLOWER
06-30-2000, 08:03 PM
No Way dont do it! Kiss that painted steel trailer good bye. As for the boat, no matter what you do no matter how much you flush, hose, wipe, spray or towel off you will get corrosion somewhere. For example I thought I had it all covered then I saw it after winter storage all my air vents had pickled on the inside and you can really see it. I am sure you have a few of them on a ski boat.

As for you original question "WAIT".

Good Luck Dave

Tom on Lanier
07-01-2000, 06:20 AM
Nate, I concur with Rock and D. I once launched and retrieved a boat in saltwater using a painted trailer. Ran it right to a car wash afterward thinking it might be ok - wrong! If you dunk it - get rid of it fast.

------------------