PDA

View Full Version : Corsicans

olredalert
12-08-2000, 12:14 PM
Even though I had a Corsican(bought it used and abused)in 1970,I am not real aware of the time lines involved with that deck style.Can you Corsican guys give me any idea about a couple of different areas?1st.when was the first one built?2nd.how long and how many were built and 3rd.when did production stop?And,also,my deck was all white with a tan stripe at the base of the hump.was this an oddity,as most pictures seem to show a two-tone deck.Thanks in advance!.........just.......ol red!

Tony
12-08-2000, 02:28 PM
Red,
I've posted the numbers a couple of times before, but don't have them memorized. I'm at work and have them at home...I'll get them posted later tonight. I've got the stats for Corsicans and X-18's.

olredalert
12-08-2000, 02:46 PM
Tony ,thanks!!!!!!!!........just....ol red!

Tony
12-09-2000, 09:43 AM
Red,
Quite a while ago a guy by the name of Curt Brown, who has worked for Donzi (and still does?) gave me the following information:

56 18' Corsicans were built from 1/69 to 5/76.
171 X-18's were built from 2/72 to 11/79.

He went on to say that the older Classic guru at Donzi is Alan Mowbry, who is in customer relations, 800-624-3304.

[This message has been edited by Tony (edited 12-09-2000).]

BigGrizzly
12-09-2000, 10:52 AM
Ken has Number one 1968 or 69. guy at Portifino had No 2 and a 1968 title with him. I have 1971 with a H&M 351 ford Clevland shown at Portifino. It has a blue deck and hull and with bottom.

olredalert
12-10-2000, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the input.Griz,Ive seen yours in the pics of Portofino taken last year,and it looks really sweet!Was Tonys there too?I need to finish this 24 footer,and then Ill be on the prowl.Pretty sure I want to find an outdrive boat,when it comes down to it.If the guy doing the work to my 24 is as good as I think Ill be willing to take a basket case,and restore it too.At least Ill have it my way!..........just..........ol red!

Tony
12-11-2000, 07:52 AM
Red,
I was present at the Portifino on Sunday, but sans boat. I couldn't find a United Airlines jet with a trailer hitch!

Randy Hibbard
12-13-2000, 03:47 AM
Tony, I hear ya, would have given anything to bring my boat there from Calif. I`ll get right to work on that Boeing - hitch mod. tomorrow. Will one of our 747-400`s do it? BTW, thanks for the Minx info you helped me with many months ago. Randy H, UAL 747 greasemonkey!

------------------

Randy

ALLAN BROWN
12-13-2000, 08:19 AM
THE CORSICAN WAS A RESTYLE OF THE STANDARD 18' DONE BY ARONOW AFTER HE RETURNED FROM THE PARIS 6 HOUR RACE, AND SAW SONNY LEVI'S BOAT THAT LOOKED LIKE THAT. THE FIRST CORSICAN WAS BLACK AND WHITE, AND WE REMARKED THAT IT LOOKED LIKE A PREGNANT NUN LYNING ON AN 18' DONZI.

BigGrizzly
12-13-2000, 03:59 PM
Brownie, I think they followed that design in the alpha with less hump. Say what you will but i get more good compliments in the Corsican than any other Donzi or other boat i have had.
Were you the guy who I spilled the beer On his foot at the Kings Grant Inn in Pt Plerasant NJ at the Hennessy GP or Benny Hanna. If so I'm really sorry, my sister pushed me, really!!

Randy

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 12-13-2000).]

ALLAN BROWN
12-14-2000, 07:28 AM
GRIZZLY,

MY SHOE IS STILL WET. I WAS THE HEAD OF THE DESIGN TEAM THAT DID THE ALPHA Z, AND I AGREE THAT THE CORSICAN IS ONE THE BETTER LOOKING DONZIS. INTERESTINGLY ENOUGH, THE GUY WHO COMMISSIONED THE ALPHA Z, JEFF JONES, LOANED HIS CLASSIC 16' TO LEGEND BOAT CO. AS A PLUG FOR THE LEGEND DONZI 16'. GENTH HAD APOPLEXY AND BOUGHT THE MOLD FROM THEM AND STARTED BUILDING 16'S AGAIN. GO FIGURE.

MattM
12-14-2000, 10:18 AM
Allan,
I remember when the Alpha Z was first publicized, beautiful boat. What happened with that project?

ALLAN BROWN
12-14-2000, 01:09 PM
JEFF BUILT TWO BOATS, ONE FOR HIMSELF, AND ONE FOR A TENDER. HE SUNK HIS. HIS LAST BOAT IS A MIKE PETERS WOODEN LARGER ALPHA Z, WITH A MEGA KEITH EICHARD ENGINE THAT GOES 100 MPH, AND COST $750,000. LOOKS LIKE THE OLD ONE ONLY PRETTIER, IF THAT IS POSSIBLE.

AB

MattM
12-14-2000, 01:55 PM
Allan,
I saw the big boat you speak of at the Tahoe Concours last year. It is truly the most impressive implement of transportation I think I have ever seen, amazing detail (everybody look at this boat at vandamwoodcraft.com). I thought the first design was supposed to be produced and marketted though. Did it just fizzle out?

ALLAN BROWN
12-14-2000, 02:26 PM
I THINK THAT JEFF DIDN'T WANT ANYBODY ELSE TO HAVE ONE. INTERESTINGLY ENOUGH, A NEW AQUAINTANCE HAS JUST GOT THE MOLDS, AND IS GOING TO BUILD SOME. HE IS A NASA GLASS GUY AND IS IN THE TOP 1% OF GLASS TECHNICIANS IN THE WORLD. SHOULD BE INTERESTING.

Rob
12-14-2000, 11:13 PM
That boat is quite simply the most amazing machine I have ever seen. The rest of the boats on the are site are almost as astounding.

The whole thing verges on the unbelievable. I'm in shock...

lou
12-15-2000, 12:24 PM
The Alpha Z is not a boat but a work of art, I have seen this all wood boat and can honestly say that it is incredible. http://www.4u2buy.com/donzi/aphaz.jpg

rayjay
12-15-2000, 01:54 PM
Went to the Van Dam site, "oh my god!!". My Dad was a Carpenter, and I remember him standing many years ago in the Riva booth at the New York Boat Shows just admiring the wood. When I was in High School, my friend's family had a '49 Chris Craft double cockpit runabout that we took the old Grey six out of and dropped a 327 into. I have been in love with wooden boats since... well, forever. I love the Cigar. Wonder if you can supercharge the twin V-8's. WOW!

rayjay

GEOO
12-15-2000, 02:17 PM
Van Damn!!! Beautifully boat, excellent rigging, Classic lines and modern mechanics. Makes my project look third rate. I would love to get a closer look.(I could learn a lot) The Arneson has fixed steering with an external rudder. WOW!!!

Chris,
Great place for second year work study semester???? GEOO

Looped
12-15-2000, 02:58 PM
My neighbor “Charlie Hoffman” on Little Bear Island Lake Winni has three of those Chris Crafts. They are sick looking.

Craig

olredalert
01-13-2001, 07:40 AM
Still going thru old posts,and want to thank all you guys(especially Brownie)for all the great input on the Corsican.They are tremendously interesting.I kind of have to wonder if the black boat Brownie talked about as the first one might have been the one I ended up with.Im somewhat hazy on this but I think I sold it thru the marina next to Magnum and two over from the orig. DONZI factory.Brownie,your memory seems so much better than mine,do you remember if that black boat had a tan interior?just curious.That one was beat-up when I got it and even worse when I sold it.I want a Corsican someday again but probobly not that one!............just........Ol Red!

BigGrizzly
01-13-2001, 07:57 AM
Red, wip your butt down to Ga and we'll take out mine for a tour, and just maybe we can dust of some wantabes.
BTW Ken has the #001 black and white, my understanding is it is drop dead georgous

Randy

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 01-13-2001).]

J&K SHAHBAS
01-13-2001, 12:14 PM
HI GUYS KATHY AND I HAVE HOPEFULLY FIGURED OUT HOW TO POST ON THE BOARDS. IM STILL PUTTING MY CORSICAN BACK TOGETHER HOPE TO SEE EVERYONE IN ORLANDO.

CYA
J&K

olredalert
01-13-2001, 12:54 PM
Griz,.Thanks for the offer.Id love to take you up on it.Maybe sometime soon.I assume that there must have been more than one black Corsican,because mine was rode hard and put away wet before I got it.Then I certainly didnt help it in any way shape or form.Being my first DONZI and only my third boat,I didnt have a clue what to look for when I first looked at it.All the oil coating the entire engine compartment,and all the spliced wiring might have tipped someone intelligent off,but not me.All I saw were those beautiful lines.Griz,I heard about one Corsican possibly for sale thats missing its two hatches.In thier place there are teak doors.I might be interested in it if I thought I could get correct doors made for it.Do you know anyone that(for a price)would let me borrow a set to make new molds?Thanks in advance!.........just.......Ol Red!

J&K SHAHBAS
01-13-2001, 01:01 PM
RED, I HAVE A GLASS MAN IN PHOENIX THAT COULD TAKE A MOLD OFF OF MY HATCHES, HIS WORK IS EXCELLENT ALL I WOULD NEED IS A PAINT CHIP AND HE COULD GEL THEM IN THE MOLD.

olredalert
01-13-2001, 01:13 PM
Wow,....Thanks for the offer J+K.Happened to go over to the wooden DONZI thread,and you guys ended up exactly where we were over here.I guess it pays to read every post and reply doesnt it?I heard about that Corsican from ol Madpoodle,and understood him to say that the boat lost its original hatches.Of course it wouldnt be the first time Ive misunderstood somebody.I hope its around for awhile cause I have to get the El Pescador finished before I can attempt any other boating ventures!.........just.........Ol Red!

J&K SHAHBAS
01-13-2001, 01:28 PM
RED TRUST ME I KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO GET INTO TO MANY OF THESE DONZI PROJECTS. MY WIFE AFTER TONS OF BEGGING JUST GAVE ME THE GREEN LIGHT TO PURCHASE A 28 DONZI UP IN CANADA AND I STILL HAVE TO FINISH PUTTING THE CORSICAN BACK TOGETHER. WHAT A GREAT WIFE!!

olredalert
01-13-2001, 02:41 PM
Sooooo,....J+k,Ive seen that 28 for sale up in the frozen north for quite awhile.Hope you beat him up a little,but in any event,it looked like a good boat.With the similarity in lines,I think those two boats would make the perfect combination.The DONZI nuts dream.Id like one of em too.Hell,I want one of em all.Wifey just read this over my shoulder and you would have had to be here to believe the look I got.She actually likes em,but with just a little moderation!Oh well,whats she know!......just......Ol Red!

Tom on Lanier
01-13-2001, 02:43 PM
John & Kathy - last I knew, you folks were in AZ. Are you still there or did you move to St Pete? We still talk about your green Hornet from last year's Portofino affair. Hope to see you again, soon.

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

BigGrizzly
01-13-2001, 05:02 PM
I hope Kathy's leg is healed up perfectly so she can have more fun this year at Orlando. Bring your Corsican this time and leave t5he Hornet home. I leaving the Corsican home and bringing my Criterion. I won't tell anybody about the sweet 16 story---yes you do have a great wife, but then so do most of the Donzi board members, to put up with all our boats and other......

Randy

J&K SHAHBAS
01-13-2001, 05:59 PM
hI GUYS!
yEP, YOU ALL BETTER LOOK OUT CAUSE MY KNEE IS DOING JUST PERFECT AND NOW I CAN DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY.
WE ARE STILL HERE IN AZ AND STILL HAVE THE ONE IN FLORIDA TOO!
CANT WAIT UNTIL I CAN LEAVE THIS DUST PIT.
I THINK MY GILS ARE STARTING TO GET ALL HARD AND CRUSTY. YUCK!!!!
IF JOHN WILL JUST GET OFF THIS COMPUTER LONG ENOUGH TO GET THE CORSICAN DONE WE WILL BE BRINGING THAT ONE TO ORLANDO. ITS REAAAALLLLYYYYY SSSWWWEEETTT! OO YEAH!
FORD POWER ALL THE WAY!
ANYWAYS TAKING A TRIP TO CANADA - JUST TO LOOK, JOHN THINKS HES GOING TO GET ANOTHER ONE. HAHAHAHAHAHA! HE IS GOING TO HAVE TO BE EXTRA SPECIAL GOOD THIS YEAR.
O WELL, CYA
KATHY.

Danny
01-13-2001, 08:06 PM
J&K
Nice collection of boats you have.
I looked at the the boat you are going to see back in Sept, went strictly to look at it because it is so unique. It is only 35 miles from our home. Didn' really look at it like I was buying so I didn't pay any attention to detail. Looked to be in good condition. I haven't seen a lot of 28s to compare to but are the cuddy windows original or were they done later?
If we can be of any help during your trip let us know.
Danny