PDA

View Full Version : DONZI decals

olredalert
12-08-2000, 10:02 AM
Hi guys,
A while back I made a prediction that the small,round,3 1/2inch DONZI decals that I have been working on getting reproduced would be in Scots hands by Christmas.I was wrong!My own fault,really.I knew that I was going to be unavailable for most of the month of DEC. but felt I could get the legwork done before I left.I was wrong!They will however be available sometime in JAN.Im sure Scot will let everyone know when,and how you can place your orders.Im sorry for the delay!.........just......humbled.......ol red!

boldts
12-08-2000, 01:12 PM
No problem from me Red! I'll just be glad to have them available again. Like I said, I used them on my quarter panels, below the Donzi decals and since the stripe is blue, they fit right in with the theme. The Donzi goes to Mich. next weekend to receive a estimate on restoring it's hull. Anyone out there willing to do a 20 year loan on about $15,000 ? I would like to do everything at once, but may have to do it in steps. Thinking about that new 377 scorpion engine with a counter rotating alpha or bravo to work with the left hand drivers position. I was told that the combination is really pricey though. Be nice to hit a lottery right about now. Take it easy and thanks for your work to get us the decals.

Scott Boldt

olredalert
12-08-2000, 01:30 PM
Hey Boldts,Where in MI.are you sending it.Im up here in St.Clair just south of Port Huron.There are good shops all over the place up here.If you need any help just yell!.......just........ol red!

boldts
12-08-2000, 01:58 PM
The shop is in Hollins, MI. It was refered to me by a place I found on the Internet that restores old wooden boats next door. I can't come up with the name here at work cause it's in my e-mail at home. That same wooden boat restorer shop has a contact who was the head mechanic at a Mercrusier boat dealer that recently closed it's doors. Again the name slips my mind. When I spoke to the man at the paint shop, he was suggesting things that members here have told me to do. (Clearcoat and painting rather than regelling) I asked about pulling the deck off during the job and that was a No, but I may see what he says when I say I would like to replace the 31 yr. old fuel tank before puting a new engine in the boat. I'm not sure where this is in conjuntion with where you are. My directions are to go to Indy then North to Hollins. Maybe we could meet and do a lunch before I return to Columbus. I want to leave my home around 3 or 4 a.m. so that I can get up there in the late morning on Sat. the 16th.

Scott Boldt

Tony
12-08-2000, 02:24 PM
Scott,
Are you talking about Holland, MI? If so it is on the west coast (opposite side of Michigan from 'ol Red Alert). From Indy to Lansing is about 4 hours, then another 2 over to Holland. West of Lansing you'll pass by the exit for my small town of Portland, but I'll be in a gym refereeing a volleyball tournament that day.
Good luck with your trip!

olredalert
12-08-2000, 02:53 PM
Boldts,Thanks for the invite but Im out of the country for the rest of the month starting the 10th.Like to something similar at a later date.You would just have to look for the old guy!.........just........ol red!

boldts
12-08-2000, 03:18 PM
Thanks Tony. You are correct, it is Holland MI. I got the reference from: Steven Bushouse of Macatawa Bay Boat Works, L.L.C. Steven referred me to: Thom DeHaan, MerCruiser Certified Technician, and former Service Manager for Pier 33 until they decided to close there doors this past fall. The paint shop is located next to Mr. DeHaan's shop.

Ol... Red
Have a safe trip and Happy Holidays to you. I would definitely like to meet you. If I have the work done at this paint shop, maybe I can take the long way home and maybe even a boat ride on Erie depending on how long the job takes. If you could send me some of the names of the shops in your area just in case I decide not to have the work done in Holland, it will be much appreciated. I have zero in the way of a good paint shop in Columbus. I think the only thing that would change my mind of course would be cost and closer to home so I can visit her weekly without driving 8 hrs every week. I believe you are about 4 to 5 hours away from me.

Scott Boldt

olredalert
12-08-2000, 04:01 PM
Boldts,You are correct sir!Alot of my relatives live in Medina OH.where I was born,and the trip from there is about 3 1/2 hrs.Spring sounds like the thing!As for other resto places,the guy Im using in Marine City MI.is full up for the winter and spring.The others I have heard about are unsubstansiated.I havent lived here long enough to recommend anyone else.Sorry,I dont take recommendations lightly.I have to know that they measure up.Youre probobly the same way!...........just..........ol red!

[This message has been edited by olredalert (edited 12-08-2000).]

Scott Pearson
12-08-2000, 04:33 PM
Boldts,
Just wondering what the place was going to charge you? As far as removing the deck, I would without a doubt have that done. The reason being is that the ski rack that is under the bow can not be painted with the deck on. If someone tries to paint it that way it will look like ****. You have to remove the deck and take the rack off the underside. Remove the chrome strip that is rivited on and that paint it seprate.

My 2 cents

(NJ)Scott

GEOO
12-08-2000, 10:31 PM
My wife is from Hudson, Ohio, near 20 minutes from Cleveland. Do you guys live near by. Maybe I'll trailer next time I visit the inlaws. GEOO

boldts
12-08-2000, 10:56 PM
NJ Scott - Don't know what the cost will be yet. That is the reason for the what looks like 8 hr. trip to West MI.

Geoo - I'm about 2.5 hrs. South of Cleveland. I71 South out of Cleveland. East of Columbus, OH. I've had my Donzi up on Lake Erie a few times. The Flats in Cleveland is the place to hang. Shooters restaurant last time I was there was the place to be on the weekend. Offshore type boats and the ladies.

Scott Pearson
12-10-2000, 04:52 PM
Boldts,
Its a shame I'm not done with my Donzi yet. I would have loved to have gotten involved in your project. And I'm only 8 hours from Cleavland.

Keep me informed on what the place is going to do and there prices. Just interested in seeing what someone would charge.

Thanks!
(NJ)Scott

boldts
12-10-2000, 06:07 PM
Will do Scott. I've had some family bad news and the Donzi may have to wait. My 3 yr. old daughter needs eye surgery and she has to come first before my boat. I am still planning on taking the boat up to MI so I have some idea of what the project is going to cost and how it will be done. They have already told me that they do not take the deck off and you have said there is no way to paint the ski holder area unless you do. Ol...Red has said that his contact is busy through Spring and while I would hate to lose the use of the boat over the summer, It might be wise to set-up an appointment with the shop Red's shop. Scott, are you interested in doing restores for Donzi owners? I am really ignorant to this work, so I really appreciate everyone's suggestions. Thanks for all your help.

Scott Boldt

Scott Pearson
12-11-2000, 10:12 AM
Scott,
Hope everything with your litte girl works out, Please let us know.

As far as doing another restoration, I would be interested. If it works out where I have the time I would love to do some more boats for you guys. However, the old saying goes "you get what you pay for" I would look at the shops work that you plan on going to and see what the end result looks like. Do it once and do it right even if you have to spend a few more bucks. What about removing the fuel tank? You have to remove the deck for that. Also new Fuel line is a must. It is also a hell of alot easyer to re-do the transom with the deck off. And dont forget all the wood and balsa that is under the decking. Is that in good shape? Just a little more thought....

(NJ)Scott

boldts
12-11-2000, 03:51 PM
(NJ)Scott,
Thank-you for your thoughts. We knew it was coming, but we were hoping it could wait until she was 4. The operation is to fix what is called a lazy eyelid. Problems with the eye focusing in conjunction with the other eye have pushed the surgery ahead sooner than expected. It's ok though. I would gladly give up all my possessions for my daughter. Take care and have a wonderful Holidays with your family. I'll keep everyone posted when I can get back to the restoration project of my Donzi.

Scott Boldt

boldts
12-17-2000, 01:44 PM
Just a update for those of you who sent well wishes. My daughter had the surgery done Fri. She came through it with flying colors. She's fighting the medicine we have to place in the eye, but doing very well otherwise. As we got home and walked into the garage, she said "Ride in Daddy's boat?" You have to love her that on probably the most traumatic day of her life so far, she can only think of having fun on our Donzi.
Take care everyone during the holidays and be Thankful for all that you have.

Scott Boldt http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif

Gearhead99
12-17-2000, 02:12 PM
Good to hear everything went well with daughter.

Merry Christmas

Crazy Horse
12-18-2000, 11:53 AM
Scott,
Just saw your post about your kid. Glad she's doing well. My kid had his tonsils out at 3 and that scared me to death.
Glad she's doing well.
Happy Holidays.
John
aka 'Crazy Horse'