PDA

View Full Version : Restoring/repowering Donzi 16

Hot foot
12-07-2000, 05:20 PM
After lusting after Donzis for many years I finally have a 1967 16. However it needs deck recoring, new plywood in transom repowering and totally refinishing. I have been reading the boards and have learned a tremendous amount however my knowledge of I/O engines and outdrives is very limited and I am hoping to alleviate that by drawing on the expertise of you guys.I have no engine and the Volvo Penta outdrive has P/N 850676 /7806, S/N 206877. The upper gears are rusted and chipped but the lower unit turns freely and the housing appears serviceable. My questions are 1) What model is this? 2) What power will it handle? 3) Is it worth rebuilding or better to find later model, if so which models will fit the current Transom opening? Since I am going to put new ply in the transom anyway filling the hole is an option if necessary.Any ideas, suggestions or advice on this or any other aspect of restoration would be much appreciated. I look forward to hearing and talking to you in the future. Thanks.

Craig
12-07-2000, 05:53 PM
My thoughts (from riding, reading and 1 repowering) are that a 16 can handle most small block V8's (Ford 302 or 351 or Chevy 305 or 350...). Unlike the 18's that can be pushed (via MORE POWER!) into the 70's, there's really not much point in trying to get a 16 to go beyond 60mph (or maybe 65). It's just too short for much more speed. Seems like from looking at this site's info., most 16's, if they have a small block and a Volvo, the small block is a 289 or a 302, but have seen some 351's. It's also too small for some of the engines I hear guys here saying they put in some 18's. For example 454 cu.in. I don't think would even fit, but more importantly, probably too heavy. Just my opinions.

CDMA
12-07-2000, 06:19 PM
I really don't think a BB would work well in a 16...it just is too heavy.

Chris

Scott Pearson
12-07-2000, 07:30 PM
Grow some ballz! Put a BIG BLOCK CHEVY in that 16! Anything can be done. If you dont do it someone well. Sooner then you think! That would be soooo....Cool! Anyone want to buy an 18? Laughing!!!

(NJ)Scott

Tony
12-07-2000, 07:31 PM
My '67 16' (http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=198) has an outdrive with serial number 211636, and it is a Volvo AQ200B. Look here (http://www.hlsm.com/oem_documents/volvo/htm/PicID.htm) to see if yours matches any of these schematics of older Volvo outdrives.

Mine is in great shape and mates well with my repowered 302/300hp Ford, but if you are at all shaky about the condition of yours now is the time plan for the future. From all I've read (mostly here...) parts are difficult to find on older Volvos, and many more shops deal with Mercs than Volvos. Also, in light of your need for transom work anyway, I would suggest plugging the hole and starting from scratch.

There were some interesting threads a while back with strong recommendations for certain crate engines...a search may produce those for you. Based on what I've gleaned a 350 Chevy and an Alpha tail might be a good combo for your 16. Take lots of pictures during your restoration, and keep us posted on your progress. Good Luck!

BigGrizzly
12-07-2000, 07:39 PM
Don't wast your time. A big block will fit, but will make the boat off balance. If you get the right stuff in the engine it will break 70. Garry's old sweet 16 has been radared at 76 mphs but was out of control untill he put on hydraulic steering. this boat came back to the lake this year. he has 20,000 in the engine and drive. This is extream but you can get 65 out of it easily ask Forrest. His carb is only 450 cfm.
by the way Forrest I found the old carb from my old shelby, before i put on trips, and it is only 500 cfm. I think Im going to put the 600 cfm back on the Corsican, it liked it better anyway.

Randy

BERTRAM BOY
12-07-2000, 07:45 PM
Tony,
I really like that windsheild on your 16. I don't think I've seen one like that before.
BERTRAM BOY

Blewbyu
12-10-2000, 07:39 PM
Hotfoot-If you don't want to carve up your transom,I believe a later Volvo 270/280/290 will install in the same holes.The 270's and later are reputed to be twice or more stronger than the 250 and lower numbered units.Volvos reputed to be the strongest of the outdrives-but you lose speed to the oversized lower unit gearcase compared to the Alphas,etc.The 270/80 models appended with a "T" indicate TRIM,which the straight numbered models DONT have(they use bolts for trim adj)rather than power trim.Bravos gearcases nearly as big as Volvo-but you usually drive Bravos with BB engines.Used Alphas and Volvo 270/280 drives can be found used for $400. and up,rebuilt for $795. and up.Look in boattraderonline.com and ebay too.Lotsa stuff out there.Watch "parts for sale" on this registry for sure.

olredalert
12-10-2000, 10:49 PM
This is probobly just as good a time as any to address a question Ive had in the corner of my mind for quite awhile.Back in my brief DONZI connected days,I was told that the 16 hull actually had a hook designed into it sometime after the original 16 came out.The reason for it was to keep more of the hull in the water,therefore keeping the boat more tractable,ergo safer out in the publics hands.I know it was either Roy Farmer who told me or John Chisolm,but cant remember which.The question is,am I right?It seems to me that Ive seen the hook in question,and its very easy to spot.Dont know when it was put in and dont know when or if it was taken out.Starts about a foot or so in front of the transom.This fact,if true,should make higher speeds difficult to attain wouldnt you think?

Gearhead99
12-11-2000, 03:48 AM
You're right. Had a 1965 16 footer. Had definate hook on both outer chimes. I repowered it with a 351W after a 289 and only obtained marginal improvement in speed. Also, you could feel the hull pushing the bow down as the speed incresed.

I was going to remove it, but talked to a guy who did it and highly recomended that I don't remove it. Said he did remove hook on his 16 and it was very unstable and wouldn't stay in the water and chime walked.

It was put there for a reason, the 18 doesn't have it.

Hot foot
12-16-2000, 07:27 AM
Thanks for all your input, i'll start looking for a later model outdrive although I haven't settled on Volvo vs Alpha. Is one or the other more adaptable to GM/Ford, 350/351? It was interesting to read the discussion on the "Hook" on the 16. Mine is a '67 and has the hook, I hadn't noticed it before and the explanation for its' being there makes sense.

BigGrizzly
12-16-2000, 09:08 AM
That hookas you call is a wedge built into the outter for the purposr of plaining the hull with lower power engines and no trim tabs. At higher speed they have no effect, they are out of the water. I have several pictures of mine and a movie of Forrest's boat. Gearhead your out drive is trimmed too low for the speed.
Hot boat described this in an reply to Rick when he wrote for assistance on instability at over 72mph on Genuine Risk! Can you belive that, what a cry baby (lol).
Keep and fix the outdrive. Parts are still available. The rust comes from a loose shift plate or gasket under it, old comon problem/ new style gasket will solve this.
Randy

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 12-16-2000).]