PDA

View Full Version : Lake Winni, Poker Run Donzi's W/O Mufflers

DFLOWER
06-28-2000, 09:15 PM
What would be the concerns for boaters with silent choice exhaust? Last Wednesday at Channel Marine I was told that my exhaust system was illegal.

I can control the volume like a radio but one look and they can tell "no mufflers".

Thirty Donzi's at Nasswa would be a Marine Patrol persons dream come true. I hear the fines a steep & are compounded if you get caught twice in one day.

What is the scoop up there? I purchased my 16 at Silver Sands Marina a year ago and they never told me that the exhaust was no good in NH.

What do you think?
Dave

Kenn
06-28-2000, 11:06 PM
Now I could be wrong but the rule used to be the sound, not the type of exhaust.
The rule was 84Dcbls at idle.

Hope this is helpful.

Kenn

FASTEDDIE
06-28-2000, 11:17 PM
Dave,
Current federal law in effect is 90 decibals at idle, measured with a decibal meter 3 feet behind the transom. Most states follow the federal standard. New Hampshire and Connecticut have elected to pass their own laws and further lower the decibals to 88 at idle 3 feet behind the transom.
Any time the states modify a federal law and lower the decibals ,its standard procedure to write into the new law that an exhaust system than can be switched back and forth from conforming to non conforming, becomes illegal because it can be made non conforming. I see you have a 16'Donzi and have either a 6 cylinder,4.3 or a small v8. I'm sure your boat will pass the decibal test but not the illegal silent choice tast. Usually all engines up to a 350 cu in. will pass the sound test. 454 and 502's with straight pipes will not pass .New Hamshire recently adopted this new standard and its possible that your dealer sold it to you before the law was adopted. There also is a decibal standard for a moving boat 75 feet from shore. Chances are if they stop you the will preform the idle test but there can not be any high speeds winds and the boat exhaust can't face into a dock because of echo. It can get very involved. Some people here on Lake George want to adopt the laws of New Hampshire and I as president of the Lake George Donzi Classic Club have argued against that change and of course all Donzi
owners agree not to lower the decibals. By the way they will test you on Lake George
and write you a ticket if you don't pass but they do not write a ticket for silent choice even through its still illegal on Lake George.
Fasteddie

Eight_(8)_Ball
07-02-2000, 01:28 AM
i read in the NH boating Law Book digest and it said that a capt. choise type of exaust switch is illegle.

donzinh
07-04-2000, 07:51 AM
Dave

Do not open your engine hatch under any conditions. I have been stopped on the lake and they have never ask to see my engine or exhaust system. As far as the Poker Run, we want to be careful. I do not think it will be a problem. Look forward seeing you on the 29th!

George