PDA

View Full Version : 350 upgrade pics

Sam
03-22-2002, 09:03 PM
Here are some pics I took of the upgrade project all back together. (Thanks Bryan for your help in posting the pics)
http://www.donzi.net/photos/samp.001.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/samp002.jpg

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-22-2002, 09:08 PM
SAM, looks great, nice photography work.
Thanks for the pictures. wink
I love the red!
Keep us posted! Can't wait for you tell us about the start up!
Bryan

SS18
03-22-2002, 09:17 PM
Sam,
That sure is a nice shop looks like the buffet could be on the floor :D And the engine looks great summers coming! I will have to post an installed pic of my new freshened 350 home today!
Powder coated accessories are sweet looking!
Good luck with your season!
Jim in NJ

Donzified
03-23-2002, 09:55 AM
Bright red,Bright red,I'll be seeing red when your pulling me down the chanel all summer! Somebody allways has to be faster...I don't think you will have any trouble keeping your nose up with all those extra ponnies under the hatch.Nail her from a dead stop and point to to moon!

Scott Pearson
03-23-2002, 04:37 PM
Sam,
Looks great. How did you make out with the paint issue?
Hope all is well.

(NJ)Scott

Sam
03-23-2002, 05:40 PM
Kind of a long story but in the end it worked out, at least I think it did. We do the cam break in on Monday and then take one last look before it goes back in. I would love to splash it next weekend, but if it dosen't warm up a bit I will probably have to wait a bit. Thanks again for all your advise, take care.

Sam

Rootsy
03-23-2002, 05:49 PM
Looks pretty good sam! this weather needs to break i tell ya... i want to get the boat out of the barn! What camshaft did you end up going with? is your motor originally a roller camshaft motor? i pretty much have my plan of attack all laid out.. just need to order parts get that motor out, cleaned up, done and back in... should be a treat... only problem i have is deciding on a camshaft, i am roller equipped and i'm going to stay that route... either they are all tooo weak or too powerful.. cripes those comp xtreme marine rollers scare me... i am afraid of exploding alphas all over the place this summer... so off i go to do some more deliberating.. keep us posted eh!

Digger
03-23-2002, 07:34 PM
fine lookin motor Sam, nice work!

Rootsy
03-25-2002, 07:56 PM
well boys and girls.. parts are ordered... the valve guides and spring pockets will be done as soon as the retainers arrive... and then back together with the young lady... eek! MAY THE ALPHA GOD'S LOOK KINDLY UPON ME... and you also Sam!!!! remember jamie... be gentle with that little sterndrive... sooo is that 350 hp rating at the crank or the propshaft???? :rolleyes: dah i think we'll be just peachy!!! afterall that's why we geeky engineers drempt up that S.F. thingy for... :D

Sam
03-25-2002, 08:15 PM
James, do you have a drive shower ? I picked one up a while back it sure can't hurt. Based on your upgrade plans what kind of hp are you looking for.

Sam

Rootsy
03-25-2002, 08:28 PM
330 - 360 are the numbers i crunched... then i modeled it with the elcheapo desktop dyno 2000 and they were close... actually i've done this with a few engines we've dyno'd and i've generally been able to come up with around +/- 5-7% accuracy compared to actual dyno pulls. the puter shows 358 hp @ 5000 with 420 ft-lb @ 3500 and 403 @ 4500... the hp numbers makes me a bit nervous... actually with the xtreme roller modeling poor flowing castings then moving to the vortec's and with cylinder heads in between i've been anywhere from 325 - 370... the camshaft really builds a lot of cylinder pressure... I finally got some data from GM on the L98 iron cylinder heads and that is what i'm using now... all depends also on which exhaust option you choose.. right now i am modeling small headers with mufflers.. ie.. no scavanging effects yet sort of free flowing like our thru hulls.

Sam
03-25-2002, 08:49 PM
Not knowing anything about the desk top dyno stuff is it a big deal to crunch the numbers for a motor. If it's not what are my chances of you running one for me. No biggy if it's not in the cards.

Sam

GEOO
03-25-2002, 08:55 PM
Sam, Great looking Motor!! Love that Red. GEOO

Rootsy
03-25-2002, 09:07 PM
Sam,

not a problem at all, i tried emailing you but it got returned undeliverable... anyway here's what i need

i know you have a 350, need your compression ratio.. i assume same as
mine... 9.1 w/ 64 cc heads. I need to know what you have for cylinder
heads. i have models for the edelbrock performer and performer rpms, would
help if you could give me valve sizes and combustion chamber volume. i also
need your camshaft specs (type, duration I/E, lobe seperation angle and
where the intake centerline was installed, lift I./E and whether the timing
events are at .006 or .050 valve lift) all the specs should be on the cam
card you received with your camshaft. if you don't know them get me the
grind or part number and i'll pull the card right from crane (believe you
got a crane correct?). also you are running a dual plane intake manifold,
need to know what cfm carburator you have on top. i'll model with the same
exhaust i have. send me your fax number also and i'll fax you the pages

Jamie

Sam
03-25-2002, 09:28 PM
Try this e-mail sampilato@comcast.net. I'll pull the numbers together and get back with you. So when do you think your going to have your motor back together.
We should try and hook up for the road trip down to Cumberland. When were you thinking of heading out.

Sam

Rootsy
03-25-2002, 09:31 PM
Sam,

I tried comcast and mediaone and neither worked. i was going to head out thursday morning. Probably stay at my folks house on wednesday night, they live outside of Monroe, just north of toledo. Would give me a straight shot south that way... i'll look for your email...

found the issue with your email... in your profile you forgot a C in comcast... it is comast

Sam
03-26-2002, 07:37 AM
James, I live at 6mi and I-275, I can be in Monroe in about50 minutes. I few years back I kept a boat down that way. Ranman lives in Redford so he might join us as well. As for the e-mail are you sure you are using sampilato@comcast.net. I have been getting regular mail with no problem. In the mean time I'll collect the data and get back with you. Just incase here is my work e-mail sam@mackellar.com

See ya
Sam

Ranman
03-26-2002, 08:45 AM
Sam / Jamie, I'm planning on leaving for AOTH II Thursday morning too. I'll hook up with you guys wherever you want. Just let me know when and where. Aren';t we also supposed to catch up with some of the Ohio crew too?

Sam
03-26-2002, 12:34 PM
Randy, here is some information that Scott posted.

Everyone coming through Ohio. Here are the plans and directions. I will be planning to arrive by 09:30 a.m to help Jerry Eisele with the tailgate breakfast. Jerry has offered donuts and coffee or juice. We plan to head out for Kentucky at 10:00 a.m. Lets start a listing of those planning to join us so that Jerry has an idea how many to plan for. Nothing better than seeing a line of Donzis going down the road. [[Smile]] It's also a good safety factor if anyone should have a problem.

The directions are, take I 75 south to exit #14 [Glendale/Milford Rd.] , left at the light,then turn left at the first opportunity. Pull in to the Quality Inn lot. Exit #14 is the second exit south of I 275 on I 75.

If coming down I-71 or through Columbus, OH by way of I-70, last year George Desmond and I met at an exit just south of I-270 and I-71 before continuing on down to Cincinnati. We can do that again if anyone is interested. It is about 1.5 hrs to Cincy from Columbus so leave time from Columbus needs to be no later than 08:00a.m.

--------------------
Scott, Beth & Allison Boldt