PDA

View Full Version : procharging a 350 mpi

waleyetwo
12-06-2000, 07:01 PM
well i just heard that thay have a new procharger for the 350 mpi and was wondering if there's eney new's that you boy's have heard of ? of if eneybody's had good luck with the big block procharger's i think it would be fun on my x-18

GEOO
12-06-2000, 07:35 PM
That sound's like a great project!!! Frank has a Procharger on his 22ZX. He loves it. I think he gained 10 to 15 mph. GEOO

waleyetwo
12-06-2000, 11:53 PM
well george you remember me and my boat im the guy you took out at winni the x-18 with the blackhawk it was a good summer just dialing it in i think i'm going to do the procharger you know you have some power there and well i can't let you have all the fun http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif but all kiding aside it's going very good but you told me to get some seat time and you were right.but once you do it your in just a little time and it's funnnnn.well spell at you guy's later.it is good to be back.

woodsy32
12-07-2000, 08:37 AM
Waleyetwo,

Please keep me updated on the ProCharger. I am thinking about getting one myself. I just sold my 18 Classic and picked up a leftover 97 22 Classic. The 22 is being painted over @ Expo North over the winter, so there will not be too many improvements this winter. Sounds like I will have the slowest Donzi on the lake. I did not even know there was a Winni club until FastEddie e-mailed me. I tried to contact them but there was no response. I hope to hook up with the rest of you Donzi guys up at Winni this year.

Woodsy

Frank Civitano
12-07-2000, 04:43 PM
I have a procharger on my 454 at 5 boost, I Love it ! My top end was around 63 to 65 tops. With the Procharger I have hit 80mph. I run around 78 and cruise around 62 mph. I went from a 22 pitch to a 30 pitch prop. Just make sure you have the room in front of your motor to install. Also if you have more then 100hrs on your boat think twice. Several people I know put them on motors with more then 200hrs and fried there motor. Not a good Idea! The motor was tired before they supercharged. Also dont use prochargers fuel pump, That piggy back 2 pump set up is not good. Get a high volume fuel pump, So if your pump ever goes you wont cook your motor like I said the hp is great and if you dont over boost you will pick up about 140 more hp at the prop. The Best of Luck.

------------------
Frank Civitano

roadtrip
12-09-2000, 12:16 AM
Gentlemen,
Thought I would weigh in on the centrifugal supercharger discussion. Check out the whipple charger as an alternative to the procharger. While I have seen both setups and they will give you similar results, I have heard that whipple gives better support before and after the sale.
Believe me at some point or another, you will need support.
As an alumni of a twin 1071 Littlefield boat, I will also tell you that supercharging introduces a level of complexity to your boating experience that is not to be taken lightly. Do your research, talk to people, and weigh your options. I would look at upgrading your motor in other ways, like many have done on this page, to achieve dependable performance gains that maximize your time on the water.
Me? I'm thinking of a 500HP, bullet proof and beastly, but my warranty will probably keep it from happening for awhile.. Good luck,
Todd Somerville

Frank Civitano
12-09-2000, 08:16 AM
I never had a problem with support from prcharger. I talked to them at least a few times they were great with me. I know they dont like when an Amature puts them on. Neither does Whipple. :confused

------------------
Frank Civitano

Frank Civitano
12-09-2000, 08:18 AM
Hey were is my little smiley guy? http://www.donzi.net/ubb/frown.gif

Crazy Horse
12-09-2000, 09:39 AM
Waleyetwo: Good to see you back on line...
Although your procharger is an interesting topic I'd rather know 'How's Susie doing"!'
Crazy Horse

BigGrizzly
12-09-2000, 10:45 AM
Like Frank says if you supercharge do the inside of the motor first. If you do a 350 chev, better do rods first. With any substantial power and a heavy throttle you will find out what the conrod looks from the outside of the block. If your a animal with the throttle then go the internal engine mods first. Remember a 18 is hard to handle at over 70.

Frank Civitano
12-09-2000, 12:13 PM
Unless you use an Arneson. See Geo.. Crazy George D, He wants his 18 to touch 100 and he will then be happy. And if I know Geo he Will!!! He is now in the high 80s. The only 18 Donzi I have ever seen keep up side by side with a 37 Outerlimits in 2-3ft seas at over 80 mph.. I wish I had a camera. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif

------------------
Frank Civitano

roadtrip
12-09-2000, 05:22 PM
Geez Frank, don't take my comments personally about your procharger. The procharger was your choice and it is obvious that you are happy with the results. I'm just saying that there are alternatives to consider and the level of service received is a component. Amateur or not, I imagine most of procharger's business comes from shade tree guys like us. Of course, nothing replaces a good solid, naturally aspirated power plant for longetivty and problem free use. As an example, my 22 Classic with a 502 will run 75-78 with no need for modifications. Fast enough and dependable...

RickR
12-09-2000, 05:28 PM
roadtrip
What have you done to your 502?
Is 78MPH GPS or speedo?
I have a 22 w/454Mag. Trying to decide between hopping up the 454 ar move up to a 502.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

GEOO
12-10-2000, 08:01 PM
Frank, Hah, Hah, Hah, You're TOO Much!!! Thanks!! GEOO

waleyetwo
12-11-2000, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Crazy Horse:
Waleyetwo: Good to see you back on line...
Although your procharger is an interesting topic I'd rather know 'How's Susie doing"!'
Crazy Horsehi there horse man yes susie i doing just fine and as sexy as ever http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif

waleyetwo
12-11-2000, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by BigGrizzly:
Like Frank says if you supercharge do the inside of the motor first. If you do a 350 chev, better do rods first. With any substantial power and a heavy throttle you will find out what the conrod looks from the outside of the block. If your a animal with the throttle then go the internal engine mods first. Remember a 18 is hard to handle at over 70.
well there grizley i really hate to do to much to the motor seeing that it's only has 45 hours on it it's a brand new 99 mpi 350 and that's why i wrote to you guy's to here what's going on with the procharger thanks for helping me out.

waleyetwo
12-11-2000, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Frank Civitano:
Unless you use an Arneson. See Geo.. Crazy George D, He wants his 18 to touch 100 and he will then be happy. And if I know Geo he Will!!! He is now in the high 80s. The only 18 Donzi I have ever seen keep up side by side with a 37 Outerlimits in 2-3ft seas at over 80 mph.. I wish I had a camera. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif
i here ya frank i hate to change drive's but if i have to i will but my blackhawk i doing very good by me so far it's not quite doing 80 yet but it may seem hard to beleve but it's doing a respektble 79.1 on gps at 4700 rpm and i'm short by 300 but i hate to spend money on geting it right then put the charger on and have to go ant it all over so that's kinda why i asked you guy's about the charger.i guess i have to figure out if to do the charger or just get the props to get my 300 that i'm loosing.i want 80 and i'm very close that's on a good day by the way but it crusis at 77 all day long the 79.1 a had to work at it.thanks for the imput

OceanCommotion
12-11-2000, 12:24 PM
Frank- did you O-ring the heads on your boat when you installed the supercharger, or did you just bolt it on?

roadtrip
12-11-2000, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by RickR:
roadtrip
What have you done to your 502?
Is 78MPH GPS or speedo?
I have a 22 w/454Mag. Trying to decide between hopping up the 454 ar move up to a 502.

Hey Rick,
My 502 is bone stock mercury. I have caught these speeds on my GPSIII. The Gaffrig II speedo is actually a little conservative by a mile or two.
Under half a tank of gas and cool air help too. Yesterday, we had temps in the high 60's and the 22 ran very solid.
I have driven the 454mag. The factory says you should see 68 to 72 with this setup. Great package, but the torgue and performance across the entire performance band with the 502 makes a huge difference in the personality of the boat.
Make the swap and watch the grins appear and the bajas disappear! Todd Somerville

Frank Civitano
12-11-2000, 06:01 PM
My motor only had 40hrs. Typhoon marine racing just bolted her on 5pounds boost dyno at 510 thru the prop. I went from a 22pictch 4 blade to a 30 pitch. Change the oil every 3 weeks and dont push the boat to the limit. I run at a 60-65 mph at 3200 rpms all day long. When I want to push it I do it in short spurts just enouh to prove how fast the little boat can go! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/tongue.gif

------------------
Frank Civitano

Bryan Tuvell
12-13-2000, 04:01 PM
Great topic, I too have considered the above options for my '99 22ZX 350 Mag MPI, but I am worried of troubles too since I am not a great mechanic. I get 70MPH even (4 blade stainless 21 pitch Merc Bravo I) on GPS and I am not sure I would want to go faster on the bay or in the ocean. I look forward to hearing how things turn out for you.
Bryan

rayjay
12-13-2000, 04:37 PM
Waleyetwo,

BigG is just trying to help your motor last.

If you keep the boost down then a stock motor will live (for a while), but not make as much power and what fun is that! If you want to run big boost on a stock motor, then do it. But have you ever heard of "percussive maintenance" for your computer? It's pounding the **** out of your non-working computer until it works or you have to buy another one that works. Run anything but low boost on the stock motor and all the weak links will become evident. I've found that it is either fix the weak links now or fix them, and then some, later (if there is anything left to fix). I've had engines with rods sticking out the side of the block, and so has BigG. Learned my lesson.

My $.05, rayjay

waleyetwo
12-14-2000, 01:06 PM
thanks rayjay i thought 5 pounds was low ? how meny hours can it go compared to a stock motor people are saying this thing is going to be reliable but i know you can't beleve everything we read.

waleyetwo
12-14-2000, 01:12 PM
hi brian if i go that way i'll keep you posted but i'm noy sure now that i'm geting all this info i really don't want problums that why this site is good you can talk to people who have been there but the way you read it it is going to be trouble free but again you can't beleve everything you read.