PDA

View Full Version : In the beginning...there was Formula

GeneD
06-28-2000, 07:09 AM
You know, for a long time now I was under the impression that 007 was the name of Don Aronow's first racing Donzi.
I am wrong according to John Crouse's book "Searace".
In the beginning, there was Formula.
The first racing Formula was named "Claudia", after Aronow's wife?
Then there was the "Claudia II"
Now, I'm talking about racing boats owned and operated by the man, Don A. (unless otherwise specified, and I AM going somewhere with this)
The first racing Donzi was named "Donzi Doozy" and piloted by Jim Wynne on November 6, 1964.
On February 2, 1965, a guy named Bill Wishnick drove the 28' Donzi "Broad Jumper" to victory in the Sam Griffith Memorial race. Following close behind was Don Aronow in "Donzi Diesel".
On April 7, 1965, Don Aronow took fist place in the Miami to Nassau race in "007". He also won the Round Nassau race in the same boat.
"Broad Jumper" also scored another victory on September 5, 1965 in the Torquay-Crowes race.
On February 6, 1966, "008" made it's debut and came in first in the Houston Channel Derby. Meanwhile, "Broad Jumper", now owned by Allan Brown, had another victory in the Hennessy Long Island Marathon on July 13, 1966.
Although Don Aronow sold Donzi in 1966, the Donzi legend, with help from driver/owner Allan Brown, continued to score victories in 1966 with "Donzi Blue Devil" (Gateway Marathon on June 16th) and "Donzi Baby" (Miami to Nassau on October 12th).
By mid 1966, the majority of the races were dominated by Don Aronow and his newest creation, the "Maltese Magnum".
Now I think this is cool. How many names have you seen here that live on in our modern playtoys?
And here is another one for you history buffs, the racing boat named "The Cigarette", made infamous by Cigarette on their website, was in actuality a 32' Cary.
Interesting huh?

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Jamesbon
06-28-2000, 08:12 AM
Gene,
Just some food for thought.......008, as pictured in the book "Don Aronow King of Thunderboat Row," is one of the baddest looking boats ever. (baddest=very, very good)

Nathan

FASTEDDIE
06-28-2000, 08:24 AM
Gene,
Claudia was Don Aronows daughter,the oldest of three children and the apple of his eye. As far as I know he never named a boat after either of his wives.

------------------
FASTEDDIE

PaulO
06-28-2000, 09:19 AM
While attending the Lake George dust-off, I received the exerpts from John Crouse's book pertaining to the Donzi racing history. While reading through this, I was impressed by the fact that both 007 and Broadjumper (names I know of registry boats) had historic significance. I thought this was quite cool and wished I had had the forethought to do the same when naming my boat. Low and behold! there it was! My boat which I had unknowingly named "Old Yeller" was also listed as one of Don's racing boats! Unfortunately, the racing career of Old Yeller is not exactly illustrious. I will take it anyway.
PaulO

GeneD
06-29-2000, 07:53 AM
See?
There you go Paul!
You did it without even knowing.
As far as Claudia goes, someone has taken my "King of Thunderboat Row" and has not returned it. So I could not consult it for the historical background needed for such a treatise.
But in the end, Claudia has the distinction of not only having one boat named after her, but two!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

CDMA
06-29-2000, 04:04 PM
Hmmm. I was going to name my boat patience but maybe 008 would be a better idea. Would I be infringing on any other donzi owner out there?

Chris

GeneD
06-30-2000, 08:33 AM
Chris,
I am not aware of any other boat out there named 008. I was saving that for my next Donzi.
But first come, first served!
Go for it!!!
At least when the subject comes up, you will have a good story!
Ed,
Nor should anyone!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 06-30-2000).]

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 06-30-2000).]