PDA

View Full Version : Yes, The Deck is Back On.

AGUESS
12-05-2000, 08:07 PM
It's been a couple of long days trying to get the deck back on the hull. The process looked simple enough and I even made some jigs so I only needed two come-a-longs ( how do you spell this) to lift and lower the deck.

Having a barrel back 1966 and having rebuilt the transom, we started there ( we being me and my friend bill). There was a gap where the corners of the deck lined up with the transom. The center of the transom and the deck were fine, but about 1/2 inch gap at the corners ( deck longer than hull). So, we started bolting the transom area first trying to pull out the gap.

We found that the deck had some bow in it from being off the hull for 5 months. By lifting up the deck right behind the seat, that fixed that problem. Next to assemble the rest of the deck. This went ok until we got to he front. We were pushing in the sides, using flat bars and even sitting on top of the deck to push it down at times.

Problem was that there was still a 1/4 to 1/2 inch problem at the front tip. We did everything we could think of, even restarted at the front and worked back. Nothing.

So, we went back and re-attached the transom to the deck only. Then using a ratchet tie down type strap, we hooked the strap to one side of the trailer axle and then ran it around the top back of the deck above the transom and attached the other side to the axle. Then we cranked the top of the deck forward a little at a time.

Finally, it went on. I still think the front could fit a little better and will give it a few more days before I finish installing the rest of the screws.

This was a pain, and makes me not want to have to take the top off again. Also, I now have to do some touch up painting.

Thanks for your help everyone.

P.S. I spoke to a Donzi Engineer today and he said they attach from the front to the back, and that this is a common problem.

Good luck to you all when you put yours back together.

Alex Guess.

GEOO
12-06-2000, 06:59 AM
Alex, I ran in to a little difficulties getting my deck on too. The bow flare needed to be pushed out to bring the tip of the bow in place. Glad to hear it's back together. GEOO

Blewbyu
12-07-2000, 08:28 PM
WHEW!(wipe the brow)Glad to hear you made it!