PDA

View Full Version : Ok, what is it?

AVickers
06-27-2000, 01:49 PM
On the way back to the office today after lunch I spied a Donzi sticking out of a bay at a local repair shop. I stopped for a look-see and low and behold, although it was a Donzi, it wasn't like any Donzi I've ever seen... (I have 18' and 22' Classics)

Ok, the boat is an 18 of what I would guess to be late 70's vintage. The lower hull was just like on my 18' except that it appears to have a bit less freeboard -- maybe by a couple of inches. The upper hull was very different... Instead of the roll that surrounds the cockpit -- just inside of the cover snaps -- that flairs out to horizontal on the sides, front and rear, this hull doesn't have one. From the inside of the cockpit it goes up and over just like a regular 18', then it goes horizontal for a 2"-wide lip around the cockpit. There's the usual row of snaps about an inch outside of this horizontal lip. On the sides, this hull slopes evenly down to the gunwales -- the upper hull doesn't really get horizontal in the area before it joins the lower hull. In the front, it slopes from the area above the instruments forward and it gradually merges with the front deck about 2' in from where it starts -- there is almost a "cowl" shape to it across the width of the cockpit. At the rear, the hatch is about the same as on my Classic -- maybe more barrelled in shape to account for the lower gunwales. However, at the very rearmost area, where the rear lifting eye is located, there is what could best be described as a ducktail that goes all the way across the width of the boat -- almost like a spoiler sculpted in. At the center of the boat, it's an inch or two higher than the hatch cover. At the outside edges it's upwards of 3" taller than the surface of the deck...

Also, instead of an instrument cluster, this boat has a hole for each gauge arranged in a straight line across the facia. Also, there's a stainless grab rail mounted at the front, bottom edge of the rear seat pad. This rail matches the side rails common in this vintage boat except that the suppors were perpendicular to the tube instead of swept back as they are on the side rails.

The front seats are mounted on square fiberglass pedistals (like on my 22') instead of on the aluminum posts (like on my 18'). The seats, too, were almost like Classic seats except they were much taller across the back -- almost like shoulder high.

The drive was a Volvo 280, but I didn't lift the hatch to see what power it had. Also, it had a Morse control, just like my 18'.

Unfortunately, the one guy who was there didn't know anything about the boat...

I figure it's a late 70s boat that's on the pattern of an 18' 2+3. From there, I don't have a clue.

Ok, what is it?????

RickR,GroveCity
06-27-2000, 02:22 PM
Almost sounds like a 20' Cigarette, but they are square in the back with a large raised engine hatch.

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

AVickers
06-27-2000, 02:42 PM
She had Donzi decals on her so her owner must think Donzi. And the lower hull was for sure a Donzi piece...strakes, deep-V, rounded V at the stern.

The rear deck almost reminded me of an exagerated rear end of a 70's vintage TR-6 or an Opel GT or Jensen-Healey or a Ferrari Datona or GT-40. Just a flip up at the very tail...

GeneS
06-27-2000, 04:00 PM
Ducktail in back makes it sound like an X-18 to me.

------------------
Gene Schmidt
'74 X-18 "Chi Chi"

[This message has been edited by GeneS (edited 06-27-2000).]

AVickers
06-27-2000, 04:34 PM
That's it!

Seats are identical to those in your boat. Your front cowl looks the same too, although I can't really see the stern on yours that well.

Only differences are that this one has grab rails like an 18 2+3, this one's red and white, and the helm is on the other side...

Cool looking boat!

Thanks,
al

GEOO
06-27-2000, 04:44 PM
Sounds alot like an X-18 to me too. Did it look real cool!!!! GEOOOOOOOO

GeneD
06-27-2000, 06:53 PM
I...am totally confused.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Scott Pearson
06-28-2000, 09:03 AM
Ok...My 2 cents... Are you sure it was an 18 footer. It sounds like what you saw was a F-22. Not many around. Mostly had Big Blocks with TRS. Mid to Late 70's boat. Nice boat I must say.

(NJ) Scott

AVickers
06-28-2000, 02:30 PM
After looking at some pics, I'm sure it's an X-18. Wild-looking ride!

This guy had his Volvo trimmed all the way to the outside hole and he had what looked like a 15" 24- to 26-pitch Ultra Prop. Built for speed...

oldLenny
07-21-2000, 04:30 PM
thanx for some x-18 insight. The rear "duck tail" on the deck is what is on the one up here (very ratty and I don't mean Big Block) but it is $7500.00 canadian (5,000US) Dash is the same as well. Old merc leg and a 350 inside. Way too much salt and neglect and a couple of white/blue paint jobs. Owner doesn't know what year it is and I don't know where to find the numbers and such...