PDA

View Full Version : Help - Deck won't fit back on hull

AGUESS
12-05-2000, 10:34 AM
Hi everyone. Have just finished the Hull and Deck restoration of my 1966 Classic 18, and the Deck and Hull won't fit back together.

I have tried putting it on from the front to back and back to front. Both ways leaves me about 1/2 inch short. Hull is longer.

I did not think that I changed anything. I replaced all of the balsa wood and rebuilt the transom, but left all original gel coat alone.

The boat was apart for about 5 months. Have any of you had this problem?

Any thoughts from those of you who have put yours back together?

I don't know what to do at this point.

Thanks

Alex.

Looped
12-05-2000, 11:12 AM
Aguess,
Have you compared the widest part of the beam on the hull to the width of the Deck? If the beam of the hull has narrowed in some by a couple of inches, then the overall length of the top part of the hull will increase.
You may need to help bow out the beam on the hull just a bit if that is the case. Hopefully not.
Craig

ALLAN BROWN
12-05-2000, 12:17 PM
BOY, YOU'RE IN A HEAP O' TROUBLE! I JUST REPLIED YESTERDAY ABOUT THE ORIGINS OF THE CHAMP BOAT. IT WAS A HULL FROM A VEGA 17', AND SAT WITH NO DECK FOR A YEAR. IT SPREAD SO FAR THAT THE CHAMP IS 1 FOOT WIDER THAN THE ORIGINAL BOAT. YOUR BEST SHOT IS TO TAKE BOAT OFF THE CRADLE OR TRAILER AND SUSPEND IT BY THE RINGS (1 BOW, 2 STERN). IT WILL START BACK THE OTHER WAY. IT WILL DO IT SOONER IF IT IS WARM. LET US HEAR!

Scott Pearson
12-05-2000, 04:22 PM
Alex
When I ruff fitted my deck to my hull to make sure everything cleared. (Before I painted the hull) I did have a little bit of a difference. About 1/4 of an inch. Where I had the problem was about 8 inches from the bow. The deck seemed like it bowed upward a little. I knew I could get it right with a little bit of work.

I put the rear of my deck on first and worked my way up. I thought that the little bit of difference I had might have been from the new wood in the transom and the heat that the Fiberglass might have swelled it a bit. I dont know how she will fit because I have not yet painted the deck. I also have to set the motor up and fuel tank, wireing ,etc. I hope I dont have a problem.

The lifting the hull up from the lifting rings makes alot of sence (I dont know who posted that but I'm sure it will work)

I'm sure that the glass will move depending on how you had the Hull sitting.

Good luck and let me know how you make out. This way I know what to do with my 18 if I have that problem.

(NJ)Scott

Rob
12-05-2000, 06:49 PM
Wow!! What a horrible feeling this must be. I feel for you.

I worried about this when I took my 16 apart to replace the fuel tank. I think I even called David Ochs in California to ask if he experienced the problem (he didn't and his boat was separated for the better part of a year). My real worry was that the sides would bow out and end up wider than the deck. I never would have thought it could also change the length...

When my boat went right back together after being apart for 3-4 months, I figured I was just being paranoid. But it looks like it can really happen.

I wonder why it seems to occur in some instances and not others? Forrest, Allan, any ideas?