PDA

View Full Version : New boat

AIRGRADY
06-26-2000, 10:49 PM
Some of you may know I have been actively searching for a Hornet. I’ve had withdrawals since selling the 1996 18 Classic three years ago. I’ve looked at four or five Hornets with nothing really striking my fancy, thankfully my patience has paid off in spades and I found a great boat. I bought a 1976 Hornet sporting a 427 CHEVROLET with a v-drive. She is white with red/blue stripe and red/blue striped interior. I was told it was a “Bicentennial Edition”, any truth to this? The boat is in wonderful original condition. I haven't confirmed if the engine is original but the previous owner claims it is, along with the transmission and v-drive. The boat has original gelcoat, interior, guages, and hardware. Cosmetically the boat is in awesome condition for 24 years. The boat looks as if it were kept in a time capsule. I sea trialed the boat in N Ft. Lauderdale Saturday, loaded it on the trailer and took her home. Sunday, Dad and I went for a spin here in Naples, we ripped a few blasts in 2-3's out in the gulf, we never took her wide open but the acceleration is killer and I think she might run in the mid sixties! Kinda weird driving an inboard after a life of i/o's and outboards, the maneuverability at slow speeds is gonna take some practice along with the trim tabs. By the way, reverse sucks! I have access to a good digital camera so pictures will be taken and sent to the Harbormaster for registration soon after I detail the new ride. I am ordering a new white interior from Bilt-Rite since the original red/blue can scorch here in southwest Florida and I’ve got plans to service the trans, v-drive, engine, and anything else that sticks out. I’ve got a few weekends of work ahead of me but I am looking forward to getting her to look as good as she sounds!

I would really like to talk to somebody with v-drive experience since I have a ton of questions about maintenance, parts, and v-drives.

Sorry for rambling, I’m just thrilled with the new boat.

Grady

[This message has been edited by AIRGRADY (edited 06-28-2000).]

harbormaster
06-27-2000, 08:43 AM
We would love to see the boat.
Have you sent in pictures to go with your entry in the registry?
(nudge nudge wink wink)

AIRGRADY
06-27-2000, 05:23 PM
Pictures will be sent as soon as I detail/buff it out this weekend. Gonna take a WHOLE LOTTA elbow grease!!

donzijim
06-28-2000, 09:16 AM
Sounds like a wonderfull find.I'll bet it is faster then my old hornet powered by an olds 454 jet drve. Still waiting for pictures.

[This message has been edited by donzijim (edited 07-07-2000).]