PDA

View Full Version : H.I.N. Location ?

Voodoocanoe
12-04-2000, 07:02 PM
Hello,I have an early 16' Donzi I just purchased that has been in storage since 1985
and cannot find the hull #'s anywhere all of the old boat registrations are blank where the hull ID is supposed to be.It is powered by a Turbocharged 351W Volvo 270T w/speed master lower.Boat is red w/red interior and white stripe. Thanks.

Tony
12-04-2000, 09:38 PM
Many of the older classics had the Hull # crudely written on the underside of the foredeck. Some people speak of a foil plate behind the rear seat, or in the engine compartment on the back side of the rear seatback. What year is the 16 purported to be?

Voodoocanoe
12-04-2000, 09:57 PM
Well prior to 1970 according to the previous owner.points to consider Donzi decals on hullsides not emblems/horizontal rubrail across transom not barrelback/louvered vent with light between hatch and transom rubrail/long narrow dash panel not square/thin drivers seat not curved bucket.these are some of the differences that I've noticed by looking at the pics of the registered boats ASSUMING that those are correctly dated

ALLAN BROWN
12-05-2000, 08:20 AM
HIN DID NOT START UNTIL 1973. MOST OF THE NUMBERS WERE WRITTEN IN BLACK FELT TIP PEN ON THE BACK OF THE DASHBOARD. EXAMPLE 66/16/125, 66 BEING THE YEAR, 16 THE SIZE, AND 125 THE CONSECUTIVE NUMBER.

Danny
12-05-2000, 08:34 AM
I am in a similar situation, just purchased an older 16, the ownership says 74 but there are things that lead me to think otherwise. Mine had a foil plate on the rear seat back underneath the cushion for the backrest. Take off the rear seat back cushion and it was right there in plain sight. It showed a hull # drive model 270T and serial # and engine model 302 Ford Interceptor and serial #.
The hull # on mine is C16-400 and when looking at numbers in the registry I think it is a 67. Tried to identify the year by drive #s but Volvo was not a lot of help, haven't tracked down a source for engine #s yet.
Does your have chrome Donzi Marine Logos on the hull sides along with the decals, several 67s I have seen had the chrome logos and I haven't seen them on other years. The boat I bought has red deck, red hull sides , white waterline stripe, white deck stripe and white bottom. Got any picures, I hope to have some on by the weekend to help get input from others on the site.
Danny

Tony
12-05-2000, 10:59 AM
My Hull # is 16-420, and it is a 1967. So I assume 16-400 is also a '67. Mine also has the chrome "Donzi Marine" emblem, the chrome grill in the stern, and the elongated dash panel. It's in the registry under Tony Sporer.

Voodoocanoe
12-06-2000, 09:02 PM
I located the original owner and talked to him today and he remembers it as being a 1966 and I also questioned him about the drivers seat (chair type) which is white and all the other vinyl is red and he said thats the way it was from day one.Should have some pics to post by next week as we are still digging it out of the barn.

[This message has been edited by Voodoocanoe (edited 12-06-2000).]

GEOO
12-06-2000, 09:28 PM
VOODO,
351 with Turbo's and an E http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gifrive. WOW!!! That's going to be a fun ride. How much power? Have you driven her yet? How's she handle? I had an E http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gifrive on my X-18, if you need info on props or parts I might be able to help. GEOO

[This message has been edited by GEOO (edited 12-06-2000).]

Scott Pearson
12-07-2000, 06:49 AM
My 1968 18 Barrel Back that was all orig. before I started never had any markings in the back of the dash. It did have some writing on the underside of the deck (port side) about 1 foot towards the bow. Never could make it out.

Had to have a HIN # issued by the State Police. Its still registered and titled as a 1968 but has a new #. It was a joke. The police looked over the boat for about 1 min. Just walked around the thing and never checked anything else. Gave me the paper work and I was on my way.

(NJ)Scott

Voodoocanoe
12-07-2000, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by GEOO:
VOODO,
351 with Turbo's and an E http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gifrive. WOW!!! That's going to be a fun ride. How much power? Have you driven her yet? How's she handle? I had an E http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gifrive on my X-18, if you need info on props or parts I might be able to help. GEOO

[This message has been edited by GEOO (edited 12-06-2000).]

GEOO,The boat has not seen water since 1985.It was parked due to gas tank problems and has sat ever since and is going to get a full restoration.It has a 1969 351W solid lifter cam ported heads Shelby intake 730 Holley dbl pumper and a single RayJay turbo charger draw through system.The 270T drive has the speedmaster lower. (gearing??) but the output shaft has mercury splines and curently has a 15x31" 3 bladed prop on it.It also has Bennett sport trim tabs.The gentleman I bought it from said the boat was very fast.I am not familar with Volvo drives at all and was wondering if I should keep the Ford motor/Volvo drive or convert to a BBC and Merc drive.Any info on finding a replacement gas tank?

CDMA
12-07-2000, 03:10 PM
Voodoocanoe,

If you do convert to Merc BB please let me know I would be interested in purchasing the volvo speedmaster lower unit.

Chris

Danny
12-07-2000, 03:21 PM
And if Chris isn't interested in the Volvo 270T Speedmaster then I may be.
Danny

Voodoocanoe
12-07-2000, 05:26 PM
I'll keep you two in mind if I go the Chevy/Merc route but I would want to sell the complete drive not just the lower and I also have the standard lower that came off when the speedmaster was put on.I also have a Brand New windshield right from Donzi for the 16'that I am not going to use.

CDMA
12-07-2000, 05:36 PM
Spare whole drive's are an excellent thing to have. I do have a complete mercuiser alpha drive complete with housings, pump, and so forth I am looking to sell if you are interested. Everything you need. Or how about this. All my Mercruiser stuff for all your Vovlo stuff...E mail me if interested.

Chris

Rob
12-07-2000, 08:48 PM
I'm in for the Speedmaster as well. Let me know when the bidding starts.

CDMA
12-07-2000, 09:19 PM
Hey, I can't outbid all you people with real jobs...have mercy on the poor kid.

Chris

Voodoocanoe
12-07-2000, 09:56 PM
What did I start here? easy now.We still are working on digging and I mean digging it out of a very packed 60x100 pole barn.I'm sure that I will be needing alot of hard to find parts and this site looks like the best place on the planet to get parts/advise.

olredalert
12-08-2000, 09:31 AM
Voodoo,I would have some interest in that brand new windshield.Have you figured out what you want for it yet?Also,did you ever find out about that dealer sign at Millers?........just.........ol red!

[This message has been edited by olredalert (edited 12-08-2000).]

BigGrizzly
12-09-2000, 10:27 AM
Vodo, try what you have first. You may find that you are too fast anyway- did I say that. Do you have a 351 Clevland or a windsor? If you have a Windsor with a turbo hang on tight, if you have a Clevland hang on tighter. This could be (if done right) could put you in the 500-600 hp range. The speed master and motor could do well over 70mph.

Blewbyu
12-09-2000, 07:53 PM
Short of GEOO's Arneson-you gotta have the hottest setup going.Keep that Speedmaster 'till it grenades-which it probably won't.Those Fords got the GRUNT!If they grenade.......(also unlikely)you can always grab a SBC at your local Safeway....
WHOOOOWEEEEEE!!!!!!You got da RIG!!!