PDA

View Full Version : Gaskets

PaulO
06-26-2000, 04:10 PM
Looking at a couple of options for my stroker motor. There are complete engines and longblocks available from several sources. I was wondering if there is a specific marine type head gasket that needs to be used. Obviously, if this is the case, a long block would need to be dissasembled to replace the gaskets. Anyone know?
PaulO

Jamesbon
06-27-2000, 08:12 AM
Paulo,
Here's the scoop on marine head gaskets as I understand it. If you're running fresh water cooling (antifreeze, heat exchanger) you need not worry about using a marine head gasket, however if you use raw water cooling (the lake water..., or saltwater) you should use a stainless composition or marine head gasket. Although I don't have part numbers handy, Fel-Pro makes marine head gaskets along with several other manufacturers. I believe the difference b/w a standard and a marine head gasket lie in the type of materials used for the compression rings, and water jacket rings/seals. The marine usually uses stainless or some other non corrosive material, while the standard gasket incorporates materials with less resistance to saltwater or corrosion.

Emmo
06-27-2000, 10:13 PM
I don't know about the Chevrolets, but Ford used a composite head gasket and stainless steel crush rings on the 5.0 HO long block, which is perfectly suitable for marine use. Gene Schmidt and Forrest have used the SECO 383 stroker long block with success.

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>