PDA

View Full Version : wakeboarding behind a donzi 18C

Bad Dog
06-25-2000, 07:32 PM
I bought a 1987 18' Classic with the 350 in it (I'm a third generation 18' Classic owner). I've been doing a lot of boating this summer, but have had trouble getting a good wake on the port side for wakeboarding. I've tried the trim tabs, although I haven't used the trim as much as I probably should.

Anybody have any suggestions.

------------------
Bret Pedigo
bret@emji.net

Blewbyu
06-25-2000, 08:59 PM
Tabs up Bad Dog- All the way!
Put your observer in the back seat.Move your batteries if you have to...trim out, don't plane!
Good luck-Uncle Jeffrey

------------------

GEOO
06-26-2000, 06:23 AM
Bad Dog,
If you shift weight inside the boat to the port, the port side wake will clean up nicely. You can mess up the skier pretty good by having a passenger in the boat move from side to side. You can control the wake with the lean of the boat. Remember clean to the lean. GEOO

boxy
06-26-2000, 08:42 AM
BadDog, what are you using for a tow point ? Has anyone put an extended pylon, or a tower on an 18 ?

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
Ontario

Bad Dog
06-26-2000, 08:46 AM
Boxy:
I'm using the existing eye on the stern of the boat. I am very curious to hear if anyone has put a center pylon on a donzi without permanently disfiguring it.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Bret

Craig
06-26-2000, 11:28 AM
I use my 16 for a little wake boarding now and then. I like the wake with my Volvo 270 on lowest pin and with the rope shortened up a bit. It's funny, I like the 16 for skiing all around. I like the wake for slalom (about 35mph) and plenty fast enough for barefooting. They're decent ski boats. I had a friend make a 7' high "fly high" pole for another guy's Master Craft. It's just a steel pole in the pylon spot with cables to the nose. I guess you could do the same with a Donzi by constructing something attachable to the stringers under the floor compartment and then ski with the door open and the compartment out, but we've noticed the pole he made for the M.C. even makes it steer a little wierd. I would imagine the ole' deep V hull would really pull the boat sideways with a high pole, but I guess anything is do-able. Like you said, I wouldn't want to deface the boat to do it. We were not too impressed with the advantages of a high pole (though I'm no expert at serious wakeboarding, I guess at almost 38 yrs. old I'm in the last generation of skiers - Slalom, barefoot, and trick skis), I think though, that its more in the wake. Play with different speeds, trim settings, and rope lengths before changing your boat.
(...the wakeboard is growing on me -- they're pretty cool).
Craig

boxy
06-26-2000, 02:55 PM
Craig, never say TOO OLD, I'm 35, and I've just bought a wake tower for my Regal Valanti.From what I've heard the extended pylon will affect your handling more than a tower. So the next question is, would 4 mounting plates, smaller than the ski eyes deface the lines of an 18 Classic ?
GeneD, this question begs your input.

------------------
boxy
Smuggler's Cove
Ontario

GeneD
06-26-2000, 04:47 PM
I try to maintain a clean look to the boat.
As for the mounting plates, where would they go?
I say nay.
Stay with the center hook.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

boxy
06-26-2000, 09:06 PM
I'm guessing that on a classic 18 the gunwales are wide, and flat enough that you would place the front mounts even with the front edge of the cockpit, and the rear ones between the front and rear seats. I'm using 1/2 inch heim joints on mine.

------------------
boxy
Smuggler's Cove
Ontario