PDA

View Full Version : Lean Into It

Scubado
03-20-2002, 02:46 PM
Hi guys,

I was just reminiscing about riding around in Dad's Classic 18. I remember that the boat would really bank into turns. It is the only boat I've ever ridden in that would lean over so much. You could just reach out and touch the water if you were on the low side in the back seat. Do the Classics carve more than other designs or does it just seem that way because of the low freeboard? Also, do the 22 and the 16 do the same thing?

Ranman
03-20-2002, 02:55 PM
Don't know 'bout the other sizes, but the 18 will really lay on its side. If your good you can really cut some corners, but you have to be careful and at somewhat of a lower speed. If you lean it over too much, you'll pull the prop out of the water losing it's bite. Once this happens you have to pull back the throttle and let the boat come to a rest before getting it goin again. It almost feels like a built in safety feature as it won't let you get it too far over.

Sam
03-20-2002, 03:02 PM
Dido for the sixteen's

Sam

mattyboy
03-20-2002, 03:02 PM
riding the rub rail!!!! in my 16 if a get a 6 footer sittin in the back I can get his head wet, when my wife is in the boat I can only make left turns so she is always on the high side, the kids love the low side!!!

Matt

HP 600SC
03-20-2002, 08:18 PM
Yes the 22 does too! I can use the 90 degree
area where the side meets the bottom as the
V for the bottom of the boat in a turn.

Brad Lyon
03-20-2002, 08:38 PM
Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened. I took a left turn to sharp. I also had the trim tabs down to far, first time using those as well.

Let me tell you I almost lost my Donzi girl and her friend to boot. I don't have any grab rail in the back seat so they were holding on to the rear seat cushion bottom and it unsnapped as they started to slide into the water. I still think I am in the doghouse for that one.

Brad

http://www.donzi.net/photos/eagleflag.gif

Steven Cohn
03-21-2002, 09:44 AM
Brad,
It's a good thing you don't have a Jersey Speed Skiff. You surely would be in the "dog house". For those not familiar w/JSS they were/are 16'LOA, w/a U bottom, Chevy 283, inboard. They tend to spend a lot of time on their gunwales when negotiating turns.
Steven http://www.apba.org

boldts
03-21-2002, 12:28 PM
Something for you brave at heart to try. If your by yourself, next time you take a turn in a Classic, put the inside (Of the turn) trim tab down as you begin the turn. It keeps the boat flat and she will turn on a dime as if on rails with the hull strakes remaining in the water. That's why I said try it by yourself first. Anyone sitting in the boat not holding on will be in the lake. eek!

P.S. Be sure and wear that PFD and the kill switch lanyard also.

mattyboy
03-21-2002, 12:44 PM
Scott ,
yup I found that out the hard way,water underneath a trim tab good, when water gets on top of trim tab BAD!!, I looked like the stunt driver I think his name was chet woodson the guy who drives on one set of tires. It was like someone was trying to push the boat over!!
had to throw those tidy whiteys away if you know what I mean!!!!

Matt

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
03-22-2002, 02:19 PM
Steven,

One slight correction. Jersey Skiffs actually have flat bottoms. But you're right about how much they lean in the turns. They call that area of the boat "the ball" and describe turning as "rolling it up on the ball". The design of the aft portion of the lapstraked left side of the hull has a profound effect on the boat's handling in the turns and is one of the "black arts" of Skiff building!

Eric :)