PDA

View Full Version : 1968 DONZI?

duke
12-01-2000, 11:23 AM
I have recently acquired and restored to running condition a boat which may or may not be a Donzi. I have not found any ID on the boat itself and the only record was in the old registration which said a 1968 CHAMP. I think it may be a copy of a Donzi. The previous owner told me he got the boat without an engine cover but replaced it with one from a Donzi. It looks like a big hump on the back of the boat. The closest style I've seen is a Sweet 16 but mine has more of a barrel type back. Also, there is a stripe running up the middle of the boat which is not flush but raised up about 1/2 inch. The boat is 17 feet long and about 8 feet at its widest point. I am trying to find out if it was made by Donzi and if not, by whom.

CDMA
12-01-2000, 11:26 AM
Let me know where it is. The only real way is to see it by pictures or actually looking at it. I live in Stony Brook and go to school in Glen cove. I can tell if it is legit or not.

Chris

duke
12-01-2000, 11:57 AM
Its in Centereach. You can email me at mailto:dukeproko@aol.com and I'll give you directions. Thanks

ALLAN BROWN
12-04-2000, 01:48 PM
THE CHAMP WAS BUILT FROM A PLUG FOR THE VEGA SPORT BOAT, WHICH WAS AN EARLY EFFORT OF HARRY SCHOELL. THEY LET IT SIT WITH NO DECK FOR SO LONG, THAT IT GOT A FOOT WIDER. THEY BUILT ABOUT 50 OR 60 OF THEM IN MIAMI. I KNEW THE GUYS WELL. WE USED TO RACE AGAINST THEM.

duke
12-05-2000, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the info on the Champ. I also read the reply on the deck that doesn't fit the hull. Does this "stretching" affect the strength of the hull?

ALLAN BROWN
12-06-2000, 03:24 PM
NAH.