PDA

View Full Version : Bravo for my 2+3?

Chops
11-30-2000, 10:08 PM
First let me say that a person can never judge how big a fan of Donzi they are until they read on THIS site for a while! I'm consistently amazed! Here goes- It's time to change the outdrive on my 1978 18 2+3. It's got a merc 260 with an old type I drive (or whatever you call the early alpha unit). I plan on upgrading to more power (about 400hp) but I'm staying with a small block. What drive should I buy and what's a good source?

Owen
12-01-2000, 08:05 AM
BRAVOS! WE DON'T NEED NO STINK'EN BRAVOS!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=943763&a=4289178&p=34464210

AVickers
12-01-2000, 08:36 AM
GAUDDDDD! That thang in Floriduh? I heard they got some purdy goofy stuff out thar...

BERTRAM BOY
12-01-2000, 04:45 PM
Hey Chops,
Welcome to the Donzi boards. We're gonna have to get together and check out each others boats.
I'm here in frigid Glastonbury, where the wind is blowing, and I didn't see a boat in sight as I drove over the Putnam bridge!!!
There is a wealth of information on this sight, and most of the guys here are very helpful and friendly. Quite a few of them I've met personally, and I can't say enough good things about them. Awww well I'm rambling now. Anyway welcome to the board, I can't wait to check out your 2+3.
BERTRAM BOY

[This message has been edited by BERTRAM BOY (edited 12-01-2000).]

Owen
12-01-2000, 05:46 PM
Chops,
If you were to stay at 300 Hp you could use another Type 1-MR or bolt on an Alpha to the Type 1 Gimbal Housing. The Apha was a direct replacement for the Type 1-MR. Higher than that, an SS drive should also bolt right up but still isn't rated for 400 hp. A Bravo will need a completely new Inner Plate/Gimbal Housing but will get you to 400. If you have money to burn, maybe a Bravo III with counter rotating props. Some people say you can run an Alpha over 300 hp if you mine the fluids and put on a drive shower but some mechanics have told me the problem is with too much torque rather than horse power. You will see alot of Boats around 1986/7 with 330 Hp engines and Alphas, and before the Bravo, people used TR drives which had an external tansmission. I don't know enough about Volvo/OMC types to tell you anything.

[This message has been edited by Owen (edited 12-01-2000).]

GEOO
12-01-2000, 08:20 PM
Chops, Welcome Aboard, I live in Fairfield, We can get together this spring with BERT BOY!! (How's the boat coming along!!)
Go with an Alpha unless you plan on having over 450hp. Then go with a Bravo.

Owen, Great Find!!! GEOO

[This message has been edited by GEOO (edited 12-01-2000).]

roadtrip
12-01-2000, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Owen:
[B]BRAVOS! WE DON'T NEED NO STINK'EN BRAVOS!

Here in Fort Worth, we aren't too far from Louisiana where gator huntin' is king! We even enjoy a little barbequed gator when it's in season and it's prepared right. Otherwise it tastes like shoe leather. Owen, I know a lot of boys just east of here who would give there life's savings for a huntin' rig like that. Only question is where are the eyeball spottin'lights? Can't hunt without em. DARN FINE RIG...

CDMA
12-01-2000, 09:46 PM
George is right. Unless you want crazy hp stay with the Alpha. There is no question that a Bravo is better in every way. But the price difference...you could keep a half dozen alphas around as spares!!!!

Chris

Chops
12-02-2000, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! OWEN's advice is similar to what I've heard before and I suppose it's time for me to start believing it. If I can't hammer an Alpha all day at 400hp, I'll never really trust it. The Bravo may be expensive but piece of mind almost never comes cheap. Hey BERTRAM BOY and GEOO, where do you guys run out of? I'm docked on Bashan in East Haddam and plan on doing day trips on the river out of Salmon river launch.

Owen
12-02-2000, 10:32 PM
There's also these guys.
http://www.konradmarine.com/

Question:
What sort of 400hp Small Block are you considering?

GEOO
12-03-2000, 06:57 AM
Chris, If at all possible do the Bravo now and never worry. It's the best drive to have. An Alpha would most likely handle 400hp in a small boat; however heavy use, skiing, wav jumping or jack rabbit starts will fatigue the drive.
I do most of my boating in Long Island Sound out of Fairfield, 5 mins from Bridgeport. GEOO

[This message has been edited by GEOO (edited 12-03-2000).]

Chops
12-03-2000, 12:48 PM
OWEN- I'm thinking of staying with the Chevy 350 marine base but upgrading to a stroker crank and rods (383/388cid). This concept always worked well on the street- up your torque while keeping your HP. Not sure yet about injection or carburation. I'm an old street hacker trying to apply the same logics to marine. You guys probably have some unflattering names for people who automatically make those assumptions! Please tell me if I'm wrong before I spend the money! Konrad looks interesting but I'm a little paranoid about future parts and interchangeability issues (?)
GEOO- see you on the Sound!

Owen
12-03-2000, 06:51 PM
There is also the surface drive alternative.
We need more of these to oggle besides Geoo's boat.
http://www.simplicity-marine.com/surfprop.htm
http://www2.dbdmarine.com/
http://www.seafury.com/