PDA

View Full Version : Engine break in and speedo fix questions

2biguns
03-19-2002, 04:27 PM
Question #1: Launched old boat with new motors (340 hp long block 454's) on Saturday. What's the best way to break them in? We put about 2 hours on them Sunday keeping RPMs in the 2800 to 3500 range with a couple of short WOT runs. At 10 hrs, mechanic will change oil and may bump up timing a little bit. Both run perfect and I want to keep them thataway.

Question #2 (and this may be a life threatening question): Mechanic forgot to hook up hose on speedometer at the outdrive (Bravo One btw) and I'd like to fix it Friday. Boat is on my lift but there is no way to get behind it to figure out what the guts look like and take my time hooking it up. I'm going to have to drop the lift down and eek! (gasp) eek! get in the water and do it before I reach a state of permanent sterility.

I know to trim the drives all the way up and generally think that I know what I'm looking for, but I'm not certain of anything but the fact that I'm going to want to get out in a hurry. What do I look for?

RickR
03-19-2002, 05:05 PM
I changed oil @ 30 minutes, 5 hrs and 25 hrs
Less than 3/4 throttle till 25 hrs

Speedo is easy if you can get to it.
Trim drive up
Fixture (male part) goes in at 10 o'clock (if you were looking at it from the top) then turn clockwise to 2 o'clock.