PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Situation (hull numbers)

Ranman
06-22-2000, 08:28 AM
Hi everyone, Tonight I get to pick up my "new to me" 96 18' Classic. The boat is in OH and I live in MI. This means I will have to change the hull numbers from "OH" to "MC". Does anyone know of an easy, clean way of removing the old numbers? They seem to be of the vinyl sticker type. Thanks.

BERTRAM BOY
06-22-2000, 08:33 AM
Ranman,
Try some WD-40 and some elbow grease. It's always worked for me.
BERTRAM BOY

GeneS
06-22-2000, 08:43 AM
Use a hot air gun, kind of like an industrial blow dryer. Remove whatever adhesive is left with a strong solvent. DO NOT use anything from a can that says "Adhesive Remover". In very small letters on the can it says "do not use on fiberglass". Don't ask me how I learned this. Laquer thinner or acetone work pretty well.

------------------
Gene Schmidt
'74 X-18 "Chi Chi"

rayjay
06-22-2000, 10:57 AM
Gene,

We all know how you learned that! You learned it like we all did, the old fashioned way. You f_$^ it up, and hopefully learn from the experience. I've had many lessons taught to me the "old fashioned" way. rj

FASTEDDIE
06-22-2000, 11:08 AM
This is a secret way we do it on Lake George.
Plug in a hair dryer to an extention cord and heat up the vinyl letter. Peel the letter off and with a white terry towel or washcloth apply Avons "Skin SO Soft". Rub in circular motions and the adhesive comes right off.
FASTEDDIE

------------------

OceanCommotion
06-22-2000, 12:07 PM
I'm just wondering how the hell you figured out that "Skin so Soft" would work on it, and why you were armed with it in the first place!

Wow!

seano
06-22-2000, 12:24 PM
Skin-so-Soft???, Man, I heard that stuff is a great bug/mosquito repellant too!!!!!!! What the heck are they puttin in that stuff...I think i'll keep it away from my skin!

Peter Beck
06-22-2000, 02:40 PM
Hey Ranman what part of Michigan are you from and where in Ohio is the Donzi? I am from around the Toledo area.

Blewbyu
06-22-2000, 07:02 PM
When they get thru removing the letters up there in Lake George, the side of yer boat feel just like a baby's butt???

------------------

Frank Civitano
06-22-2000, 08:02 PM
Hey, I chase my Wife around when she puts that stuff on! I LOVE THAT SMELL. And my wife calls my boat the other woman now! Skin so soft(WOW) That would be a new dimension of boating for me!

------------------
Frank Civitano

GEOO
06-23-2000, 06:47 AM
GeneD, Steve, Remind me not to put any Skin So Soft on if we run into FrankC anywhere!!! http://206.150.187.82/ubb/eek.gif
Frank, Hopefully the engine goes to the dyno Saturday http://206.150.187.82/ubb/rolleyes.gif GEOO

PaulO
06-23-2000, 08:41 AM
Not to ruin all the fun but, there was a recent radio thing that said the bug repelent properties of skin-so-soft is a farce. You guys can still lather each other up and chase each other around with it though......
PaulO

Frank Civitano
06-23-2000, 05:30 PM
Geo
Got to get you down here to take a ride on the new and improved ZX, ( less skin so soft} I have to get more air in the engine compartment, Humidity is robbing my top end. GPS is now at 75 with a full tank, If I open the compartment 1/2 tank I break 82mph. Next year I will add new heads Crank cam and stainless headers , I want 650hp. My wife wont let me put in the Ram scoop like on Damn Donzi. Cant take her sun bathing area!
Are you going to make Radar shoot out?

------------------
Frank Civitano