PDA

View Full Version : Balance Tires ?

Sam
03-19-2002, 04:20 PM
So what's your opinion on balancing trailer tires. I talked to the local tire store today and they said don't bother. What's the difference if your car is going 70mph or your trailer is going 70mph. I would think that it could only help. He also said that most trailer wheels can not accomadate wheights, so what's the deal.

Sam

MXRoadster
03-19-2002, 06:41 PM
Sam, I would guess the reason they don't balance them is so they can sell you new ones every year. All tires can be balanced one way or another, you might want to check with a different shop. I am planning on have mine balanced before any long trips this summer.

David

Gearhead99
03-19-2002, 08:11 PM
Just makes good sense to balance. Sure you won't feel the imbalance on the trailer while you're driving the tow vehicle.

But, the tires are bouncing, which isn't the best for wear and control.

Get them balanced, don't go cheap. Isn't that much more per tire.

Dr. Dan
03-20-2002, 05:58 AM
Sam, I agree with the above comments, 2 schools of thought! 1.) No Balance, obviously increaese wear and potential ride of your "pride and joy", out of feel/sight, out of mind. 2.) Balance/Rotate if applicable, most don't rotate, alot do balance though, for super long haul's(AOTH II)you will find it's all relative. At Sears, they will rotate/balance and provide semi-stale coffee :p for your convenience as long as you keep buying tires from them! I drive about 50,000 miles a year on average(not with the boat)and I find most tire shops are happy to provide this service,bottom line is your longevity and safety of you and yours on the highway, plus these 18 year old hourly employees, half the time are only interested in punching the clock :D Good Luck ...Doc

Forrest
03-20-2002, 08:45 AM
Yes, without a doubt, balance those trailer tires! If you really want to get every last bit of vibration out of your tires/wheels at any speed, have 'em done on a Hunter GSP 9700 Vibration Control System (http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/how.cfm). Usually cost about $15 per wheel and is well worth it. Especially good on vehicles with tight steering and suspension.

KMLFAMILY
03-20-2002, 09:36 AM
I agree with all. I balance a lot of tire"s in the course of a year. It"s surprising how far out some tire"s can be.

Digger
03-20-2002, 09:49 AM
balance 'em

RickSE
03-20-2002, 10:25 AM
My trailer originally had bias tires that would get flat spots if the trailer sat for a while. The vibrations from the flat spots would transfer through the tongue and into the frame of my truck causing a very anoying vibration in the truck.

I guess my point is, YES balance those trailer tires.

Scubado
03-20-2002, 03:12 PM
I had mine balanced and the guy put the weights on the outside of the rim (on the chrome). Had him change them on the inside for cosmetics. Does it make a difference weather they are outside or inside?

BigGrizzly
03-20-2002, 05:49 PM
Except for aluninum wheels the rims are the same car or trailer( assuning they are 12->16) and can be balanced. Aluminum can be balances with stick on weights. I balance all tires regardless of type, even my minibike wheels. My opinion is the tire store actually thinks he is saving you money and it isn't necessary. However when confronted with the cupping tire situation anw warranty they are qick to say no warranty because "the tire wasn't balanced." Funny how this works.

Randy

Klingon
03-21-2002, 05:53 AM
Yes! Most trailer wheels are smaller than the cars so they could be turning twice as fast as the tow vehicle.
Alan