PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a 22 Classic

PaulO
06-21-2000, 02:08 PM
I am going to look at a 22 this weekend. Looking for some info in advance. First, it is an 89 with 460/King Cobra out on Long Island. Has anyone looked at it yet? Any info/opinions on the 460 Ford motor? Is this the Cobra with the cone clutch?
Thanks,
PaulO

RickR,GroveCity
06-21-2000, 02:21 PM
PaulO
Probably not the cone clutch.
The cone clutch drive has the water pump in the back of the drive. I believe production started in 1990

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

AVickers
06-21-2000, 04:10 PM
Actually, from what I have been able to discern, both have water pumps in the drive -- serviceable from the rear in a housing that's on axis with the input shaft.

I've been told that the dog-type units are flat on the top whereas the cone-clutch units have a rounded hump on the top of the foot where the upper bearing support is located. This is 'cause they had to make room for the helix slider and shift mechanism and rather than changing the housing casting significantly, they just extended things into a new upper casing...

Also, from what I gathered when I was looking for a 22 this winter is that the Ford-powered units will fetch $3k to $5k less than the same boat w/ a BB Chevy. This might give you some leverage in terms of pricing -- If I remember correctly, the last time I spoke w/ that guy in Hollywood Fla. with the 89, he was willing to take $13.5 -- down from $16 and the other guy (in Miami, I think) was willing to knock a couple of grand off the price of his boat as well. Neither guy was getting much sustained interest in their boats.

[This message has been edited by avickers (edited 06-21-2000).]

Blewbyu
06-23-2000, 10:34 PM
PaulO- Look down the page at "Suggest a Donzi, any Donzi" by Lineleader- then check out the pics of RickR's 22' Classic.Damn, thats a gorgeous boat! I,m real glad it's in Grove City (where IS Grove City)! If it was in the northwest,I'd have to have it at any cost!
RickR- That's just a decoy deal isn't it- you REALLY gonna sell that boat??????
Regards, Uncle Jeffrey

------------------

FASTEDDIE
06-24-2000, 09:03 AM
Hey Gang, there's a clean 22 Classic on EBAY Item# 360461098. Its a red and white 1988 with trailer less than 200 hours garage kept and its in beautiful shape. Does it have your name on it? Its in the Norfork, Virginia area.

FASTEDDIE LAKE GEORGE DONZI CLASSIC CLUB

------------------
FASTEDDIE

[This message has been edited by FASTEDDIE (edited 06-24-2000).]

flametamer
06-24-2000, 07:11 PM
FASTEDDIE,

I saw that 22 classic on ebay, it looks like a real fine boat, w/ custom matching trailer, Im so happy I'm not looking any more! flametamer/Jeff

seano
06-26-2000, 08:15 AM
Hey paul,

Is that the teal 22 that is at Strong's Marine in Flanders? I know that boat...in fact, that is where I keep my cigarette. My father used to own the place until 1987.

Anyway, that is a low hour boat---the guy hardly used it, althought there are some nick and scratches and alot of fade. The boat definitly needs some cosmetics and interior. in my opinion, they are asking too much for it, but it has been for sale for quite some time...maybe a cash offer might move it...I can findo out more on the boat if you want...let me know.

PaulO
06-26-2000, 08:49 AM
Seano,
Yes, that is the one. The broker painted a real bleak picture of it. Said in his opinion it needed repowering/drive, interior, and a whole lot of gel coat work. I am considering a low-ball but, I am not sure yet when I can get out to look at it. In the meantime, saw a nice Minx right in my neighborhood. Good price and low hours. Not sure how well the Minx will do compared to the 18 in rough water. If I switch it will be for a major rough water improvement.
PaulO

seano
06-26-2000, 09:09 AM
Paulo,

Is that the Donzi at Strong's Marine in Flanders? If so, it's got relatively low hours, but a bunch of nicks and scrapes. The gel is faded pretty bad as well. I'm not to partial to OMC's(Sorry OMC guys), but I believe the boat was well maintained by the yard. Lef me know if you need anymore info...Vinny is the owner of the yard and a friend of mine...I keep my Cigarette there.

seano
06-26-2000, 09:11 AM
sorry for the double post

seano
06-26-2000, 09:14 AM
I'm gonna talk to Vinny and see what the bottom line is on it...i'll keep you posted