PDA

View Full Version : Trimming a 22 Classic

scottyski
06-21-2000, 10:43 AM
Two questions, first Im a new owner of a 97 22ft Classic 454mag, and having only been around v drive flatbottom ski/drag boats most of my life, the hole outdrive,trim tab,deeeeep v thing is new to me. Im looking for suggestions on how to properly trim the boat for speed in rough chop to avoid porpousing and optimize speed. Any inherant handleing issues with this boat. Second, who offers a reasonably priced full length cover that fits my boat. Thanks very much for any and all responces.

p.s. I still miss my Rayson-Craft

Donziflyer
06-21-2000, 12:37 PM
Scottyski-

Call me at 1-888-667-4567 (toll free) 9-5 Pacific and I'll talk with you about how I handle the trim tabs and power trim on my 22'.

------------------
PaulH

[This message has been edited by Donziflyer (edited 06-21-2000).]

RickSE
06-21-2000, 12:46 PM
It's hard to say, you really just have to mess with the tabs and trim and see what works best for you.

Trimming the drive up will always give you more speed, lifts the hull out of water. Trim the drive up in proportion to boat speed, the faster you go the higher up the drive should be. Trimming the drive to high though may cause the prop to slip and you will loose speed, watch your tach for slipping. And never trim with the trailer button

I usually end up using the tabs in rough water only. On long runs I put the tabs down to a point where they will just begin to eliminate purposing, with the drive trimmed up to the max irt. speed. I then use the drive trim to change the boat setup for the rest of the run. Every once in a while though I'll go back and check the tabs to see if they can be brought up any further. Tabs eliminate purposing but they also cause the boat to loose speed by driving the nose down.

Like I said the best way is to get out there and just mess with it. Be conservative at first and slowly work your way towards more drive trim and less tabs. Soon you'll feel like you need a pilot's license to drive your boat.

Barry Phillips
06-21-2000, 12:46 PM
Scotty ski: I have a Classic 18 with a
350 but Im sure they handle similar. On
my boat best top end is about halfway
up the trim gauge. To much trim the
boat will chine walk and the prop
will ventilate which will be apparent
to the ear and on the tack. I do not have
tabs but I would find them most useful
in a quartering sea or wind because
deep vees tend to lean in these
conditions. Also when the boat is loaded.
Scotty you have a great boat thier, when
you open it up in 2 foot chop you woun't
miss your Rayson Craft to much.
Good Luck SO-SLO

Peter Beck
06-21-2000, 07:50 PM
Scottyski I purchased a 22 this year and have been playing around with the tabs.It seems that they have gotten me in a little trouble with the boat trying to chine. Last weekend I had both tab up and as I took off at a speed just above plane I turned the wheel a little to the right and the boat tipped extremely to that side. I have to admit I was shaken for a moment and pulled the throttle back. Boy if my wife was in the boat at that time it would be on the selling block. If anyone can interject any comments to this I would appreciate it. Tabs have helped me keep balance to the boat when weight is not well distributed.

Tom on Lanier
06-22-2000, 05:46 AM
Hi Scotty
I went to West Marine and ordered a pretty nice cover for my '96 22 Classic. It's blue in color in what seems to be a fairly durable fabric(not Sunbrella).It actually fits quite well and has reinforcing material sewn in at the pressure points. I think I paid around $200.
I'm still learning my boat, as well, but what I'm doing for speed is to start with the trim tabs all the way up, put the boat up on plane and tweak one of the tabs just enough to level the boat. These hulls are very sensitive to side to side weight distribution and even wind coming from one side or the other. If you change direction relative to the wind, you will probably want to retweak the tabs for lateral balance. My objective has been to use the tabs as little as possible and only to keep the boat level sids to side. Then use the power trim for the outdrive until you encounter prop ventilation or porpoising of the hull.
You will find that the more you play with this boat the more you will appreciate it's capabilities.
Check out Emmo's post on Labor Day at Lake Eufaula and come join in on the fun.

------------------

scottyski
06-22-2000, 07:26 AM
Thanks for all the feedback!!