PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Comp. is screwing me

Inevitable
06-21-2000, 10:26 AM
I hit the bottom of Lake Erie (low water) with my Z-29 a couple of weeks ago, and did some damage to my lower units and props. Took the boat in to the local Mercruiser repair shop, got an estimate of $5100. Two new lower unit cases, 1 upper gear set, two new nose cones, and two props reconditioned, two seal sets, two impelor kits, and labor.

Insurance adjuster says, I have to pay for maintance items. Seal kits, impellors, gear set, and they will not cover the nose cones.

This really upsets me. What is the purpose of insurance? Both of my drives had been gone through two years ago, and the nose cones were damaged from impact. Why should I have to pay the bill??? How is a seal kit a maintance item??

Any advise?

Forrest
06-21-2000, 02:06 PM
Good luck . . . get what you can from the insurance company and eat the remainder. You could try moaning and groaning, but it probably won't be worth the aggravation. On the other hand, you may try your state's Department of Insurance (FL) or the equivalent for your state for guidance on this issue.

------------------
Forrest

Steve Smith
06-21-2000, 02:54 PM
Insurance companies are in the business of screwing people. Don't stand for it.

In Alabama, our lower courts handle claims of up to $10,000.00 and the judges are fairly understanding when it comes to pleadings and evidence. Sue your insurance company under the terms of your policy for as much as you can. Ask not only for the cost of repairs (the ENTIRE cost of repairs) but also for loss of value from the damage inflicted upon the boat. Claim breach of contract and attach a copy of your policy to your complaint.

When it comes time to go before the judge, make an argument that their claim of not paying for maintenance items is the same as if you had someone back into your car and damage your radiator, only to have the insurance company agree to pay for the bumper, grill and new radiator but not pay for the antifreeze which poured onto the ground after the impact.

Don't stand for this.

Scott Pearson
06-22-2000, 07:38 AM
Ok... the seals are not are wearable item so the insurance company has to pay for new ones. As far as the gears and impellers that is wearable so there is a depreciation factor that should be given. Its like if you wreck you car and it needs a Battery, well the insurance company wont pay the total amount for a new one. But depending on the age they will pay a percentage. Also if you wreck your car and it needs an axle they have to pay for the axle and SEALS but will depreciate for the brakes. I would NOT agree for reconditioned props! Thats like getting a reconditioned fan blade on a new motor in you car after you got it back from the body shop...Whos to say it was done right and if it will be out of balance.

Let me know how you make out!

(NJ) Scott

seano
06-22-2000, 11:06 AM
I have nothing but contempt for insurance companies as well...and one thing I noticed is that they are not paying for your nosecones...this is common. I had $3000 worth of stereo equipment stolen from my Jeep several years back and because it was not installed at the factory and was an "add-on", they would not pay to have it replaced---even with my receipts. All they would pay for was the broken window. Minus the $500 deductable , of course. They are the biggest thieves out there!

I also had a friend in high school who had a new Iroc Camaro with the factory aluminum wheels. The original wheels were stolen from the car and the insurance company would not replace them with a set of Centerline racing wheels even though they were about $100 cheaper per wheel! Go figure!