PDA

View Full Version : RECALLED DONZI`S (STEERING)

Hardonzi
03-18-2002, 06:19 PM
How do we know if we have a recalled boat? I havn`t heard anything from the factory yet.Found a red residue by the hr. meter on my 22 ZX,looked like trans. fluid,but it was right under the black box with two coaxil cables coming out of it.The boat handled beauitfully.Just curious,CS at Donzi kinda has deaf ears at times. :confused:

Shanghied Again
03-18-2002, 06:22 PM
Do you have Warlock steering? Thats what is being recalled,

Hardonzi
03-18-2002, 06:57 PM
How do I know what I have?Wouldn`t the factory have that info. If I wouldn`t have read it here how would I have even known their was a recall in the first place.I thought it was their responsibility to notify customers of recalls.

Last Tango
03-18-2002, 07:30 PM
Look at the back of your boat. If it has a shiny rod about 18 inches long going from the top or side of your outdrive to a point halfway between the out drive and the side corner of the transome, and said shiny rod has a couple hydraulic lines on it and it looks like a shiny shock absorber...this would be called "external steering." If you have such a shiny rod, look to see who manufatured it by looking at the sticker attached to it by the manufacturer. If it says Warlock, call Donzi Customer Service to see if your boat is part of the recall (not ALL Warlock external steering equipment from every year is included...only a segment from the past couple years). It it doesn't say Warlock...go back to sleep. I received a letter from Donzi for my 2001 Classic 18, but it doesn't have external steering, nor was it ordered (I ordered the boat new). They appearantly sent a general letter to those Donzi onwners whose hull numbers were in the offending time frame, probably in case Warlock steering was added later at the dealer.
Mark :cool:

Hardonzi
03-18-2002, 07:58 PM
I dont have external steering,so I guess I`m safe.I thought it had to do with the steering in general (factory installed)components.

CharlieTuna
03-18-2002, 08:40 PM
Donzi has no way to track which boats had
external steering nor which boats had Warlock
steering. So they had to send out letters for
all boats manufactured within a certain time frame.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-18-2002, 09:06 PM
Your fine with the 22ZX. No externals.

CHARLIE TUNA, they have no way of tracking?
They should.
I disagree with your statement.
DID they track??? That is the question???
That is why so many $4 letters were sent out.

I have Laythem, why did I get a letter?

I was not pleased/impressed by this lack of tracking and attention to detail. They should have a data base, hull ID, options as it came out the factory door.
I have been to the factory 3 times.... they can easily track what they desire to.
And I believe dealer added options under the Donzi warranty would have to be approved by Donzi.
Just my opinion.
Bryan

Shanghied Again
03-19-2002, 04:57 AM
Bryan, Not to stick up for Donzi but I work for a large corporation and they do the same thing, We put in 11,000 heating units last year alone 2000 of them would be furnaces. We had a recall on GE gas valves, Carrier uses them and sometimes Heil. We install 4 types of furnaces, That recall caused a $4.5 million dollar suit. Its is cheaper and not so time consuming to send out $4 Certified letters to everyone that may or may not have that valve to protect yourself. One slip and you can be sitting on another potential suit. It would cost Donzi more money to track then what is worth. So as a customer they are making you aware of the problem so it protects them.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-19-2002, 07:38 AM
Good point Frank. Some things just surprise me at times.

Hope you well, did you get to splash the 26 yet?
Bryan

Shanghied Again
03-19-2002, 04:58 PM
Bryan, I am splashing her on Saturday at Cape Island she is up and running, I want the boat ready for Easter week going to Sarasota. Are you going to attend Ocean Performance poker run in June, The NJPPC crew are heading down so far with 6 boats. They are going top have on awesome poker run from what it sound like, Starts Friday night and ends Sunday, They are in Maryland.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-19-2002, 05:44 PM
Ocean Performance???
Is that the Jacksons run?
I am locked and paid for in 4 runs already with 2 pending! I hate to schedule any more PRuns at the moment.

We are also going to Lake George it would appear in July, when my inlaws have vacation. If not there then some where in NY. We didi Kinzu last year, another possibility, Nancy is in charge of this particular trip..

Plus my DONZI will return to PA next fall for DONZI to make some repairs and performance additions. It will be there for a week so I will be hanging out in up state NY somewhere, or NJ if invited! HINT! LOL

May call ya later.
Bryan

Shanghied Again
03-19-2002, 07:00 PM
Hey Bryan, You just let me know when you are welcome anytime! :D

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-19-2002, 07:15 PM
Enjoyed the call, I'll keep you posted!
Thanks Frank.
Bryan