PDA

View Full Version : stuck in neutral!

smoothie
03-18-2002, 02:33 PM
Im about ready to put the motor back in my boat and I went to put my TRS outdrive in gear so I could turn the prop to get the splines lined up,and I discover that I have electric shift,with the wiring being disconnected because of the motor being out is there a way to get the outdrive in gear :confused:

Forrest
03-18-2002, 04:23 PM
Put a prop on the drive and give it a slight turn to align the splines. Installation of a TRS to Merctrans is a little bit of a bear since the drive's input shaft is hollow and the output from the transmission is an external spline shaft, and there is not much room for your fingers to line the shafts up. Also, make double sure that there is a thrust washer on the transmission's output shaft for the tension spring on the drive unint's input shaft to push against. Otherwise the rear seal in the transmission will be trashed in about a minute. Also, treat that elecrtic shift motor like gold. They don't make them anymore and they can't be rebuilt. Only option is to find a used shift motor or convert to mechanical shift, which requires parts for your shift box and transmission. Either option is expensive.

smoothie
03-18-2002, 08:11 PM
Forrest,
Thanks for the info on doing the aligning and the heads up with the electric motor.

Rick