PDA

View Full Version : advice for first boat

its1471
11-29-2000, 01:41 PM
I'm going to buy my first boat, probably this winter. I plan to use the boat on a large reservoir for cruising and problably fishing. I've been on pleny of boats but honestly know nothing much about them. I do lots of fishing and probably should buy a bass boat but I've always been interested in the charisma of a thing and let's face it a bass boat looks like. . . well, a bass boat. My question to the board is this.. is an older Donzi (late 60's on) a possibility. I like the looks of the older boats and have owned and enjoyed old sportscars in the past. Or would an older boat be too much for a new owner, particularly one without experience. You won't hurt my feelings if the consensus is this is just plain silly. Thanks

Forrest
11-29-2000, 02:04 PM
Great Question!!!!

Unless you are mechanically inclined, your first boat should be an outboard. An old Donzi will test your patience and bank account - especially if you have someone else do the work. Many of us here have more than one boat, so that if the Donzi doesn't run, there is always the other boat. If you are still not convinced, go back and read some of GeneD's posts about the trials an tribulations of 007. Again, get a basic outboard powered boat that is large enough to safely accomodate you and your crew, but not too big to handle on or off the trailer, take a United States Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxiliary class to learn about safe boating, and go out on the water and have a great time.

------------------
Forrest

Owen
11-29-2000, 05:35 PM
If you're new to boating, the site below is an excellent source of information and direction. I always suggest that your first boat should be considered a learner. Any sound boat will do, and thru the use of this boat you will form a clear idea of what your ideal boat should be like. Your first boat will get dinged up - it can't be helped. Its all part of the learning curve.
http://www.boatered.com/

EricG
11-30-2000, 10:01 AM
I agree with Forrest, my first boat was an older ('65) 13' whaler with a 65HP Evinrude (That was a handful!!!!), I totally restored the hull, but the outboard was never a bit of trouble, it allowed me to learn about boating without really worrying about power problems. Then it was on to a 1969 Century Inboard, Once again, I did a basic restoration of the hull, but as a 30 year old v8 powered boat, it had plenty of problems. Finally, when I bought the Donzi I went for a much newer one (88), and I have no regrets, the fact that it has relatively modern power and hardware makes it much easier to just "get in and go..."

No matter what you end up with, good luck!!

EG

seano
11-30-2000, 10:21 AM
I think Forrest said it best...

I once helped a boss of mine purchase a new boat. He was brand new to boating and knew nothing about boats.

While I agree that your first boat should be considered a starter boat, you should definitely buy new if your pocket book allows you. I have owned close to 20 boats in my short 30 years and I can tell you there is nothing more frustrating than breaking down. Luckily for me, I am somewhat mechanically inclined, and if you are, all the better.

My other point is that if you buy used, look for something fairly new, low hours, freshwater use and have a mechanic look it over for you. I'd hate to see someone new to boating leave the "sport" out of frustrations due to breaking down. Not to mention buying new or having a boat checked out by an experienced mechanic will ensure the safey of you and your family.

Good luck and welcome!