PDA

View Full Version : please educate me on the 502

Digger
06-06-2002, 10:16 AM
motorheads, I would like to hear your comments on the 502 MPI. (Mine are 1996) I did a search and there have been a few comments here and there but not many. I'd like to hear your opinons on strong points, weak points, and anything in between. All this talk about different types of metal in the drivetrain has raised my curiosity. what pistons are in my 502's?

Any and all comments are welcome! thx!

oldLenny
06-06-2002, 10:21 AM
I have heard about troubles with the valve seats. This was solved with the use of stellite I believe. The few that we have around here are redone in this way. that's all I know...

MAXCAT
06-06-2002, 02:34 PM
YOU HAVE JE FORGED ALUMINUM PISTONS AND SEALED POWER RINGS. THE PISTONS COST GM 320 BUCKS A SET, SO ENJOY THEM. THE 502 IS DURABLE, AND MAKES GOOD POWER, BUT THE ONLY DRAWBACK IS OIL CONSUMPTION. THERE NEEDS TO BE MORE WORK DONE ON THE RINGPACK AND BORE FINISH. PROBABLY ANOTHER HITTER TO OIL CONSUMPTION IS THE FACT THAT THE 502 BLOCK IS SIAMESED AND TENDS TO HAVE BORE DISTORTION WHEN ASSEMBLED, BECAUSE GM DOESN'T USE TORQUE PLATES WHEN THE BLOCK IS HONED.

roadtrip se
06-06-2002, 02:48 PM
I've owned many 502-based boats over the years and loved all of them in their various dress trims.

The 502MPI has been accused of a lot ills. Had a couple of fuel injection issues early on, but they got that sorted out. Everybody complains about them burning oil, but mine never has. If somebody is running a whipple or procharger, typically there is a 502MPI underneath due to its durability. The weak link can be head gaskets.
Freshening comes at 5-600 hours in a performance boat. Mercury would still be building them if GM still had them avaialble for marinization.

Now for the shameless plug. SALE! SALE! SALE! I've got one for sale! Most of Corsa quick and quiet pieces will come with it, K&N filter in the box ready for install, and freshwater run. Our 2001 22 Classic saw 73.3 on GPS last weekend with this motor. 65 hours and four oil changes. Somebody make me an offer on this beast as it needs to find a new home!

Sorry Digger, but I had to do it! I'll buy you a couple next time our pathes cross.

Great motor and somebody has got to have it!

Todd

Ranman
06-06-2002, 03:59 PM
Todd, Will it fit in my 18? My poor boat is getting boring to drive with that little MAG 350. :cool: :cool: :cool:

roadtrip se
06-06-2002, 04:47 PM
Randy,

Well after riding with you at the AOTH2, if there is anyone out there that can throw an 18 around with a bit of style, it's the Ranman.

502 18 Classic? Think Jen would ever get near it?
Been done before, sort of, with Red Dog's Genuine Risk and a 454. Same footprint exactly. I bet Poodle would sell you those monster k-planes off of the 20 Cigarette to keep it level.

Of course, there would be this mile long liability form that I would have you sign.... eek! eek! eek!

Todd

Chummy
06-06-2002, 10:57 PM
I have a gen VI 502 which has the redesigned oil passages, makes for awesome oil pressure. Oil is good no? :cool: