PDA

View Full Version : Volvo tilt mechanism question

on_plane
06-06-2002, 06:04 AM
Does anyone know a trick for lubricating/cleaning the gears/bearings/shaft on the tilt only mechanism found on the older volvos? Mine is really hard to access as it is on a twin engine magnum with very little room to work. The unit is also frozen in the transom housing and can't be removed for service with out breaking something. Any suggestions as to keeping it running smooth without taking it out of the boat would be appreciated. The drives go up and down ok but I notice that the starboard unit is laboring. Thanks!

MOP
06-09-2002, 10:21 AM
This will work some times, fully retract unit. Get the bolt out that secure the unit, then from the outside try driving the unit into the boat. This usualy works. Clean it up good, I think you will get good results using the 2+4 Merc grease.
When you put it back in clean the bore and the unit well, then paint both surfaces with non hardning gasket compound so it comes out the next time

Gearhead99
06-09-2002, 01:36 PM
I agree with MOP, but be careful hitting it. You can bend the shaft VERY easy, ask me how I know!!
Make sure it is fully retracted.

You can try turning to break loose and use PB Blaster. Once you get it out and greased up. I would use anti-seize compound, and lots of it, where it goes through the horse collar.

Good luck

on_plane
06-09-2002, 07:59 PM
MOP, I tried something on the order of what you're talking about, and I tried PB blaster. I thought I was putting too much force on the unit so I backed off. I guess I scratch my head for a while on this one and try to get it off in the off season. Thanks for the advice though.

MOP
06-09-2002, 09:17 PM
If its that bad it will only get worse, bite the bullet. Extend it all the way, cut the shaft as close as you can. Now retract it, get a 1/8 long drill bit and drill the sleeve from the outside you will need to drill quite a few. Go righht through DO your darndest not to drill off into the transom shield. This is the last case sinario, been there done that. You will ned a new shaft and housing. One source for the parts is: http://hlsm.com/