PDA

View Full Version : A couuple of things...

TBrannigan
11-27-2000, 01:28 PM
1)Does anyone have expierence with "Peel-Away" or a similar porduct? Is it possible to remove bottom paint to the point where it looks presentable unpainted?

2)I posted a question regarding any product that can be used to more permantly restore the topside. Someone gave a one word response of "Penetrol" any more on the topic?

Thanks!

Terry

CDMA
11-27-2000, 03:49 PM
It is possible even if the bottom was properly prepped. It is just going to take a lot of time to remove the paint then a lot more time to wet sand all the bottom out to restore the shine. This is also dependant on if there is enough gelcoat left. When sanding for bottom paint they tend to be a little aggressive as in 100 grit power sanding. You may be better of reomiving the paint and haveing the bottom sprayed with awlgrip or similar.

Chris

olredalert
11-27-2000, 06:43 PM
On my last 22 Classic I spent about a week of 4hr. days taking off uneeded bottom paint.I found it best to try several grits to see which one got the paint and wasnt too hard on the gelcoat.Then I went to some fine stuff and wa-wa.Then finer stuff and wa- wa.Finally on to buffing with coarse compound,and fine compound,and polish,and wax.Not a memorable week.Till you brought it up I hadnt thought of it years!!!!!!Should also mention that stripper was way too violent when I tried it.It actually ate the gelcoat.Maybe a milder stripper..........just.........ol red!

[This message has been edited by olredalert (edited 11-27-2000).]

Forrest
11-28-2000, 10:07 AM
Peel-Away works well for slick hard finish top-side paints, but doesn't seem to much to remove antifouling paints. Even though they say if won't hurt the gelcoat - DON'T beleive it for one second! If you leave it on too long, Peal-Away will etch the gelcoat and if don't leave it on long enough, it doesn't work. For removal of old anti-fouling paint, I found that Castrol Super Clean will melt away most antifouling paint. It will take a few applications and some serious scrub brush work, but I found this was the fastest most economical way to remove the stuff. Also, you may even try oven cleaner on some of the tougher spots.

BTW Scott, I recently sold every boat that Don didn't make, but I did pick up an old 22' Aquasport CC with a 150 Johnson. You never know, I may just want to go out in the Gulf and try to catch some fish.

------------------
Forrest

CDMA
11-28-2000, 10:13 AM
Forret my idol...you still planning on selling the hornet??

Chris

BigGrizzly
11-28-2000, 06:39 PM
Looking for a place for the 454. or just building a stable.
If you think he is your hero, wait untill you meet EDIE. She is a Donzi girl and a half. She can drive and talk with the best of them. She swears that Forrest is one of the best drivers she knows. I think the real secret is she showed him everything he knows.

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 11-28-2000).]

CDMA
11-28-2000, 07:10 PM
The stable will wait till after I make the big bucks. Just sticking my nose where it don't belong...curiosity killed the cat.

I think the Hornets are nice boats like them...who knows...one day

Chris