PDA

View Full Version : Qjet Carb Question....

EricG
06-05-2002, 01:19 PM
I've always been relatively dissapointed with the performance of my boat (after yesterdays prop testing session, now I'm really dissapointed).

Anyway, my 1988 350 Magnum (the Carb version, originally rated @ 270HP) has a replacement Qjet on it. I have what appears to be the Merc technical manual for 1988 and it lists all of the QJet part numbers for the various Merc engines that year. The Replacment I have is listed as the stock carb for the 260 motor. It appears that the only Carb difference between the two motors is the Secondary Metering Rods. Merc lists the 260 as having CH metering Rods (.036") and the 350Mag as having CL (.042") metering Rods.

I pulled the metering rods out, and shure enough, they are the CH rods for the 260.

So, after all that - here's my question. Should changing out the metering rods give me any appreciable difference in performance on the top end? And if so, where can you buy just new metering rods?

Thanks!

EG
"The GPS I got for Christmas wasn't as good a present as I once thought :( "

Rootsy
06-05-2002, 02:17 PM
hmmmm you may check summit or jegs because i know edelbrock offers tuning kits for the quadrajets now. I have a few Q-jets at home and some spare hangers and metering rods, i could check to see if i have the correct ones... it's a shot, although long...

MOP
06-05-2002, 09:35 PM
The Q jet is a real easy carb to make a fair range of adjustments. I used to play around with them alot. Yes you can do alot with the rods. I have seen 250-300 RPM change when you get it right. They are worth keeping, they give decent cruise on the tiny barrels and pass alot with the man hole covers open. You have to follow the adjustment guides carefully and need decent smooth jaw pliers to bend the linkage plus a cople of strong rubber bands. You will find that in the manuals. No matter what I still prefer them to the Holley even though the Holley ihas more respect.