PDA

View Full Version : Cleaver ?

Sam
03-17-2002, 09:40 AM
What's the performance theory on cleaver type props and how might they compare to a Mirage. I have a chance to pick one up cheap and was just curious.

Sam

jwright
03-17-2002, 09:52 AM
I think the cleaver is designed for surface drive type applications. The purpose of the straight trailing edge is to leave the water less disturbed for the following blade when it enters the water. It may also be a pressure distribution on the blade surface issue also. I realize this does not explain why alot of people run them on standard drives, but it did seem to more of a 1970's early 80's thing. They are certainly not as commom now.
I may be way off on this, I am interested to hear what others say about it.
Also, I have a LH cleaver prop that has broached and machined to fit a Volvo 270 outdrive for anyone interested....

EricG
03-17-2002, 10:12 AM
I've also been told they work well mainly on surface peircing drives......But, I've got a mirage 21, 19 and a slightly beat up 20 cleaver and the cleaver is by far the best prop on my boat. The Mirage's definitely hold better, especially while getting on plane, but there is noticably more stern lift with the cleaver, it makes the boat more "flighty", and definitely faster. I just finally got a GPS, so I'll be able to test with more difinite numbers this spring.

I've decided that props are so different on different boats, that it never hurts to try everything....although this year I'm going to start demoing them, as opposed to buying them - it's getting expensive.

Good luck!

EG

Donzified
03-17-2002, 11:03 AM
jwright

what size is it?If it's a 23 with a 17 spine it may work for me.We still boat in low water we just spend more money on props and u joints.Think about visiting me on lake St. Clair on Wensday afternoons."Wensdays are boatin days" There is a boat launch 1/4 mile from my house in Fair Haven and plenty of dock space at my house.

Sam
03-17-2002, 12:31 PM
Donzified, what's up with your fire clean up ?

Sam

CDMA
03-17-2002, 09:23 PM
Cleavers generally tend to work better or surface drives or raised x dimension boats. They also tend to produce less rotational torque on the boat. I ran one on my 18 with an alpha for that reason. I tried running a set up the spinning a RH prop with left hand steering. When I was alone in the boat the round ear props would severly lift the starboard side of the boat. Switching to a cleaver reduced this greatly. However in the process I did lose about 1-2 mph.

Chris

Murphy
03-17-2002, 09:47 PM
Last summer I experimented with my 22 classic. It came stock with a 19 pitch cleaver 3-blade. I tried a 21 Mirage Plus, a 21 and 23 Hill, and a 21 Spinelli Bros. The Mirage cavitated constantly. The Hills acted like they were out of balance... real rough. The Spinelli was OK but not really better than the cleaver. Overall, the cleaver performs best on my SS drive. Could be the higher X-dimension has something to do with it. I especially notice that porpoising is less of a problem and that the boat is more stable under all conditions with it. Although the cleavers are "old technology" according to some people, I think they're worth a try.

Murph

CDMA
03-17-2002, 10:21 PM
P.S I have a 23 RH you can try if you pay shipping.

Chris

Donzified
03-18-2002, 11:13 AM
YELLOW YELLOW YELLOW !!! My favorite toy is YELLOW again! The only black left is were it's supose to be. Well I still have the engine roon to clean.Lucky for me the mechanic who winerized the motor for me secured shrink wrap over the Holly. The aluminum on the boat took the most gas,I'am glad the carb was covered.My new white Gafrigs still have not come clean,I'am worried about clouding the clear plastic with stronger cleaners,they are plastic arn't they.Can't wait for "boatin wednesdays"

jwright...what size is your cleaver?
e MAIL vandervreken@aol.com

Cuda
03-18-2002, 03:49 PM
I have a problem with my boat listing to port. Do you think a cleaver might help this? Chris, what do you want for the 23?

CDMA
03-18-2002, 04:38 PM
It probably would. The prop is a 23 RH and is in perfect shape. $100 + shipping.

Chris

Cuda
03-18-2002, 06:19 PM
Chris it is for an Alpha isn't it?

CDMA
03-18-2002, 06:39 PM
The wonderful thing about mercruiser....will fit on Bravo, alpha, and I think even TRS!!

Chris

Cuda
03-19-2002, 03:44 PM
Chris, I'll take the prop. Let me know the shipping and I'll get a money order to you. My zip is 33777. You can email me at jgriffit@gte.net.

Thanks
Joe