PDA

View Full Version : What was it?

Cuda
03-16-2002, 06:32 PM
We were out crusing today. I have recently repowered the boat with a 5.7 330 hp and an alpha drive and transom assembly. I had run it about 5 hours before today. We had cruised about 18 mile and I was playing with trimming the outdrive up. It ran about 3 mph faster with it trimmed up. I went a mile this way, when all of a sudden, it felt like I spun the prop. I cut the throttle and then tried to get the boat back up on a plane. It started to come up, then felt like the prop spun again. When I backed off this time, you could smell rubber burning and black smoke was coming from the engine compartment. By the time I got the fire ext. out and lifted the compartment. The smoke was gone. The engine was still running fine, so I put it in gear and limped back to the dock at 7 mph. Just before I got to the dock, I opened it up, and it got back on a plane and ran fine. When I got it home to flush it, I can hear some kind of whining coming from the transom assembly area. It might just be me, I don't know if it whined like that before or not. Any ideas of what it may have been?

It has been suggested it may be the flywheel coupler?

CDMA
03-16-2002, 06:41 PM
I agree. Sounds like engine coupler. Had it go on me this summer. Got to take the engine out.... :( :( :( Sorry.

Chris

HP 600SC
03-16-2002, 06:50 PM
Yes, I agree.....Sorry dude! :( frown

marcdups
03-16-2002, 07:53 PM
Coupler, yes it is, sorry to hear that :mad: :mad:

Rootsy
03-16-2002, 08:57 PM
yep sure does sound like the coupler...

Ralph Savarese
03-16-2002, 09:14 PM
No doubt it the coupler.

HP 600SC
03-16-2002, 09:21 PM
Or it might be the COUPLER!!
:rolleyes:

Cuda
03-16-2002, 09:26 PM
Does anybody think it might be the coupler? :)

I am told the couplers on Alpha's are only rated to 290 hp. Does anyone know if they make a high performance one?

Thanks for the sympathy, luckily I have a spare boat or two :D Now, if I could just find that spare grand or two...............

MOP
03-16-2002, 11:19 PM
The coupling is a sure thing, but another thought I would check the gimble bearing especially if its been there a few seasons. The wining noise might be tne bearing. Many folks forget to grease em! We tend to stress them pretty hard timming as we do. Before I put my drive on in the spring i put the dummy shaft in and slowly pump the grease and watch to see if its nice and clean. I trailer, while I flush I give the bearing one slow pump about every 10 hours.

Mid Night Thoughts!

Phil / Long Island

Donzigo
03-17-2002, 11:33 AM
Cuda, Gary Wheeler, at King Marine, in Gulfport, has woprked on my Donzi's for years. He takes the engine out in about 4 hours, if you are looking for a mechanic. Very good work, very reasonable. 727-321-3087. Just in case you need him.

Oh, by the by, I vote for the coupler, too. Also, changing the gimbal bearing is a good thought. I do it every season, needed or not.

I'm Richard, at 727-867-7020, in St. Pete. We'll have to get together sometime on the water. Maybe up towards Salt Rock Grill, etc.

Cuda
03-18-2002, 09:55 AM
Rick, I called King Marine, but nobody answered. I left a message for him.

When I get the boat back in order, we will have to get together for a run on the water.

Thanks for the info.
Joe

Sam
03-18-2002, 07:54 PM
Cuda, I couldn't help myself today. I had to go to my engine builder to drop off some parts and asked him to show me a coupler, not much to it. Now I understand what you saw and heard it all makes sense, good luck in the repair phase.

Sam

Rick
03-19-2002, 10:26 AM
My Holman Moody's use spring couplers. Seems to me springs would be as close to permanant as one could get. Are the new couplers rubber? Rick

lou
03-19-2002, 02:30 PM
Yup, engine coupler.

Cuda
03-25-2002, 09:08 AM
Richard, I finally got in touch with Gary at King Marine. I am going to take the boat in Tuesday afternoon, or Wednesday morning. He had a new take off coupler he is selling me for half price. He told me you were one of his oldest customers, and that you like your things perfect. I will let you know how things work out. Now, I have to go finish playing marine mechanic on another boat I have. Just put new heads on it, then I found the valve cover had a rust pit completely through it.

Secret F233
03-25-2002, 11:05 AM
Awe man sorry to here that cuda. :( To bad that F-20 did'nt come with a Stringer you would'nt need King marine LOL :p just the DONZI.NET Crew! :D ! :D ! :D

Cuda
03-25-2002, 12:48 PM
I've been there with the OMC Stringer, my first boat was a 1972 JOhn Allman with a 155 OMC. Visited the shop regularly with that combination.