PDA

View Full Version : Family & Performance BOATING magazine

Varyak
11-22-2000, 09:52 PM
I came across this new magazine last week on the newsstand. Premier issue. BOATING is the standout word on the masthead. Lots of fun articles on the boats and stuff we like to read about here. Articles in particular include:
- The 20 Coolest Boats of All Time. The usual suspects - Fountain, Formula, Magnum, Cigarette, and of course Donzi. Featured id the quintessential Classic 16. All the boat write-ups are fun.
- Live run tests on Eliminator 28 Daytona, Hallet 270 Cat, Warlock 29 World Clas, Ultra 23 SX, Cougar 20.5 Sport Skier, and featues on a Scarab 43 and Formula Sun Sport line.
- feature on changingout your instruments
- (my favorite) Mercury's new 6.2L and 8.1L motors, with all the specs and an explanation of what they replace and how they are different than the motors that preceeded them.
I know as the owner of a 2001 18 Classic with the new MX 6.2L (377 cubes, 320HP) with Bravo One Performance outdrive, that the new engines are POTENT!
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the new 496 Mag HO (8.1L, 425 hp) will be available in the 22 Classic as the top choice there, since it replaces the 502. For those who think they are going to miss the 502...I don't think so, unless all you want is braging rights for an engine over 500 cubes.
THe next issue of the magazine promises a more indepth study of the new motors.

Numerous excellent articles in addition to the above.

Website: www.familyandperformanceboating.com (http://www.familyandperformanceboating.com)

Question: Why did the chicken cross the road?
Answer: To prove to the armadillo it could be done.
Question: Why does the new magazine already have a website of its own?
Answer: To prove to the Donzi factory...

EricG
11-23-2000, 12:10 PM
I picked up this "Premiere" issue about 2 months ago and it was great. However, I keep looking for the second issue? I hope they didn't fold after just one.....

Speaking of Magazines...does it annoy anyone else that the second half of every issue of HotBoat is dedicated to finishing articles that were started in the first half?

EG

Varyak
11-23-2000, 09:46 PM
They are only doing 9 issues the first year so they are probably waiting to gauge response. Did you like the mag?
Hotboats mag is fun, too, but harder to find consistently. I didn't subscribe because last year someone made a comment about them being inconsistent with issues in the mail. What was your experience with them?
I did try to subscribe online to F&PB but had them bill me rather than use the credit card in case they are not doingissue #2. Usually new mags are good for at least a couple before they fold.
Mark

Craig
11-29-2000, 11:25 AM
Varyak, Eric G., (or anyone else who might know),
What was the date of the issue you guys were discussing here (the one with the article of Classic 16)??
Thanks,
Craig

seano
11-29-2000, 12:08 PM
I browsed the new(2nd) issue on the newsstand yesterday...It looked okay but not as good as the first...there was nothing about it that stood out in my mind...

they did a stern jack test, looked at the new 496 and that ugly Emerald bowrider/cuddy cabin boat. Also saw a checkmate in there too...

just my two cents

MikeMiller
11-29-2000, 03:59 PM
Varyak...

That joke at the bottom of your first posting hits me below the belt. I am reeling in pain from my total failure in getting the respect from my Donzi family brothers and sisters that I had worked so hard for..

I hope that I will one day meet your expectations and not have to be subject to such a brutal onslaught.

Just kidding.... good one.

Mike Miller
Marketing Manager
Donzi Marine

Varyak
11-29-2000, 08:23 PM
Mike,
Sorry pal, I just couldn't hold it in any longer. Been saving that one for a while. But then I just checked your site tonight..and ..well..still no chicken.
Heather says "Hi" and hopes she will she you guys in Orlando this Spring. She loves the new 18 with the 6.2L. She keeps shouting at me to go faster and stop being a ***** with the trim tabs. The girl just loves speed. Feet up on the dashboard and squeeling with joy at 70mph. Same with the Porsche race car. I feel badly for the guys whose wives hate this kind of stuff. The new boat is AWESOME. Thanks for being the REAL enthusiasts boat company.
Mark

Varyak
11-29-2000, 08:34 PM
Craig,
No cover date on the first issue. It just says PREMIERE ISSUE in the date spot. Don't get to worried about the 16 article. I was very short, said very little about anything that you don't know from this website, and used the photo from last years brochure (same as the Registry logo picture). What was interesting was the fact that they had six or so of Don Aronow's different boats listed in the Best 20 Boats article.
Mark