PDA

View Full Version : CLE gearcases

Greg Riach
11-22-2000, 02:57 PM
I would like to get information on CLE gearcases.
What advantages do they have?
Are they special racing parts?
Can I retrofit a CLE gearcase to an Alpha drive?
Are they different than an Alpha SS?
What type of costs would I be looking at?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Greg

PaulO
11-22-2000, 03:22 PM
Greg,
I don't think that there is anyone making a CLE gearcase for the Alpha. The last hope I had was Konrad but, they just stopped production. The SS is a CLE as well as being a shorter drive but, good luck finding one! You can create your own CLE ( which of course just indicates the crescent leading edge design ) by adding a nose cone to the Alpha. However, what seems to be the common consensus on this is that the main reason for the CLE is to prevent "blow out" at speed. Blow out is when the turbulence from the water passing over the leading edge of the drive forces the water outward and away from the propeller to such an extent that it creates a very low pressure zone in front of the propeller. This can result in a very quick loss of propeller "bite" and steering stability. From everything I have read, blow out is only likely to occur at speeds beyond 80-85 mph. I cannot report anyone I know that has had a speed increase from the supposed hydrodynamic shape of a nosecone at any speeds under 75-80 mph. Hope this helps.
PaulO

BigGrizzly
11-22-2000, 05:46 PM
Paul is for the most part correct. On my installation i gained no speed however my fuel economy went ip and didn't blow out prop on acceleration or high speed turns anymore also i can trim higher with out bolow outs. Would I do it again? Yes as long it is a Hydromotive one

boldts
11-22-2000, 05:55 PM
I have a Hydromotive nose cone on my Volvo 250. Like everyone else, I saw no speed increase and my Donzi has only been in the 50 to 55 mph range anyway. I bought the cone when I didn't know better. I would say my main advantage was in the steering stability. It looks fast though!

Greg Riach
11-22-2000, 08:50 PM
Thanks guys, we can always count on you for help and information.

Greg

CDMA
11-23-2000, 11:03 AM
Worth it for the looks alone....

CDMA
11-23-2000, 11:04 AM
Paul O,

I say we pick up that Alpha drive from the harbormaster and see about shortening it....hmmmm. Next is the Volvo nah forget it right to ASD6

Chris