PDA

View Full Version : Got it Running

Ralph Savarese
11-21-2000, 05:00 PM
Got the new hot rod 350 running . Man it sounds mean.I ran it just on the floor. Now just to get the boat done!
I followed the specks for a 350 350 hp
68 cc center bolt vc vortec heads 10.1:1 compression Crane cam and lifters 216/228@50deg and an edelbrock manifold thanks to Paul O Gotta try my best to get it to at least useable for lake George I hope!
Ralph

BigGrizzly
11-21-2000, 07:15 PM
Good show, nice set up. GOt an exhaust system? If not that will help later when funs arrive.

GeneD
11-22-2000, 08:39 AM
Talk to us about these Vortec heads.
What are the differences, how much did you pay, what kind of pistons are you running to get the 10:1?
How about ignition?

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

GEOO
11-22-2000, 10:37 AM
Ralph, Sounds like a nice combination. How's your fiberglassing coming along? GEOO

Ralph Savarese
11-22-2000, 06:41 PM
The engine is running great but I think I found the source of my original corroded valve seats today it seems that it had a intermittent miss today when I was trying to fine tune it. I put it on the scope and found no IGN. problem. The miss appeared to be on # 4 cly. well much to my surprise # 4 had water in it . Lucky I was running it on fresh water .I drained the manifolds and ran it dry for a few seconds to get the water out and then ran some clean Trans fluid through to kind of fog it till I find out what is going on . It ended up being a bad riser gasket it had a split in it just above that cylinder .Monday when I get back to work I will drop the oil and install the new gasket and see how it goes .
Well for those of you who were asking they are federal mogul hypertectic with a .100dome with 68 cc heads that gives you 10.1:1 compression they also make .275 domes for those of you with 76cc heads . the vortec heads are the ones used on the newer engines 95 and newer they are center bolt VC heads and have straighter runners 68cc chambers and the angeled center holes for the intake bolts . The heads were given to me by someone for some parts I gave him in exchange The pistons were cheep I think $240 with the rings . They were very nice pistons without the cost of forged.
Oh also forgot to tell Gene I am running a stock Gm hei ignition i have had a lot of sucess with it so far been running it 5 years no problem
Ralph

[This message has been edited by Ralph Savarese (edited 11-22-2000).]