PDA

View Full Version : Son of #%$#^...Lost Oil Pressure

Laidback
06-04-2002, 08:17 AM
Well,

My 96 C22 454 Mag that I have had for a month has had its first major malfunction. She was running great then loud knocking, looked to see oil pressure gauge go to 0. I immediately shut her down. I am thinking a bad oil pump. The engine is a new reman, but warranty has run out from sitting at dealer before I bought.

Any thoughts to what I am looking at if fixed by dealer? Do I have to pull the motor to get to the oil pump? Any other ideas to what happened?

Thanks.

Laidback

mattyboy
06-04-2002, 08:28 AM
sorry to hear it, probably pump failed and lack of oil leads to a spun bearing, or thrown rod,

This is probably along shot but in my business we cover warranty from date of purchase by customer which doesn't always jive with the mfg. warranty
this is where cust svc and reputation come in, if the dealer does the right thing it will come back in return or referred business, so
see if you can pressure the dealer for something,
maybe a break on labor or parts?

hang in there

Matt

Jamesbon
06-04-2002, 08:36 AM
Hopefully it was your oil pump pick up falling off the pump, hopefully. It happened to me once....years ago.

seano
06-04-2002, 10:04 AM
this happened to me on Memorial Day...it's a spun bearing... :mad: :mad:

Laidback
06-04-2002, 02:28 PM
I talked to Mercury (Cindy) and she was pretty cool about the whole thing. I think they might work with me since the new reman has only 10 hours. The bind here is the time the boat sat on the lot before it was sold to me. The dealer should stand behind their work regardless of Mercury. I might live in a dream world but I am willing to work with them as well.

Let me know if anyone has anymore suggestions.

Thanks....LB

RickSE
06-04-2002, 04:58 PM
If your dealer is willing and a Mercruiser certified dealer, they should be able to swing the warranty repair for you.

Chummy
06-05-2002, 02:03 PM
Idea? :D See if Mercury has any reman. HP 500's and see if they will issue your credit and some $ to get one of those!!!! :D