PDA

View Full Version : Need a ski boat...

AVickers
03-14-2002, 08:08 PM
I want to buy a ski boat for my teen-aged kids to use, but don't want to get rid of my 22 Classic. Therefore, I've been looking at older boats.

In particular, I've looked at a 21' 1988 Supra Mariah -- 351 PCM, two 23' 1989 Supra Soltares -- 454 PCMs, a couple of mid-eighties Ski Nautiques -- 351 PCMs, two 20' 92 Malibu Euro F3s -- 350 MerCruiser Magnums, a 20' 93 Ski Ray -- 350 MerCruiser Magnum and a 20' 93 Brendella -- all in very good to excellent condition, all with 400 to 600 hours on them. They all run out pretty good and they are all about the same money.

Any thoughts/opinions on which brand would be the best to buy? There are other boats in the marketplace, but I'm trying to stay at or below $10k. The Supras aren't really ski boats -- more like recreational boats, but they are in very good shape and have all been very well cared for. The Nautiques are frumpy -- they look very practical, but there's nothing really "classy" about them. Both are in excellent shape. The Malibu and Ski Ray are good looking boats, but they don't seem to have the build and material quality of the other boats -- stitching is rotted and seat materials are perished.

NONE of them are Donzis... They all seem to handle like tanks and they aren't nearly as smooth in the chop.

Anybody have any experiences with any of these brands? Good? Bad? Have a friend with one? What's the wrap?????

Thanks, :confused: :confused: :confused:

RPD
03-14-2002, 08:14 PM
If the purpose is for skiing: NAUTIQUE.

smoothie
03-14-2002, 08:32 PM
Same here,go with the ski nautique,my brother bought one last year,it's put together well and pulls great.

Stix Magill
03-14-2002, 08:33 PM
If you are looking for a dedicated skiing boat, I totally agree with RPD. The Nautique is a well built boat and holds it value well. There is (arguably)no better ski boat and there are a ton of accessories available.
The only drawbacks, and this applies to the Nautique copies (Malibu, Brendela, etc.) as well, is that they don't seat many folks, and the ride is less than desirable in even a slight chop.
In my area, they have great status. Your kids will own a classic ski boat!

CDMA
03-14-2002, 08:38 PM
Hands down...Nautique.

Chris

If you find one with a big hole in it...let me know....I could use another project :rolleyes:

Tomahawk
03-14-2002, 09:13 PM
Dittos - a friend bought an old Nautique and really liked it for skiing. Pretty low money too.

AVickers
03-14-2002, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the info!

So far, wakeboarding is the "thing." Everyone can slalom, but that board seems to be the thing that gets taken to the lake when we go...

Also, seating is an issue -- open bow seems to be a must, but I haven't seen an older Nautique w/ one. When did they start making them this way?

CDMA
03-14-2002, 09:46 PM
Have saws-all...will travel.... :D :D :D

RPD
03-14-2002, 09:56 PM
All the dedicated ski boats have limited seating... room for a driver and two spotter/timers... Correct Craft had an open bow version of the Nautique at least by the early 90's, but I don't know when they first appeared. For wakeboarding, the current Nautique has a tower and ballast tanks in the stern, which can be filled and emptied by boat movement, to make a bigger wake... and for serious wakeboarding that is what they need, they'll never settle for a mere ski boat.... for me, give me the hang-it-all-out shortline slalom any day, what a feeling, and for relaxation, barefooting is still a gas at 54 years old.

RH
03-14-2002, 11:31 PM
nautique is definitely the way to go. They may not be the best looking boat from a style standpoint, but they hold up well and are built quite sturdy. They tend to grow on you as well. You should always hold your money together quite well with them too. The closed bow version may not have all of the seat that you would like, but they are made to pull skiers, and they do that well.

Looped
03-15-2002, 07:18 AM
Avickers,
Another one to look for is a Tigé ski boat. A friend of mine has a contract with them and he gets a new model ever year as part of a deal that he will take customers out for a test drive when ever Tigé asks him to. He has been dedicated to Tigé for years before he got this opportunity and he says that he will never switch to another ski boat and he has had many of them.

Just another thought,
Craig

EricG
03-15-2002, 11:43 AM
I used to tow the Univeristy of Washington water ski team practices in a 1989 Scupra open bow (351) - What can I say, I'm a crappy skier, but a real consistent driver.....

Anyway, as with all tournament boats they really nose in if you come off plane too fast - and with the open bow - you can take a lot of water on in a hurry....the Supra interior didn't hold up real well, but the boat it self was very solid for several seasons.

I've skied and towed with Natiques and Master Crafts and they are both increadible....

Good luck!

EG

2biguns
03-15-2002, 12:08 PM
Have driven Nautiques for years and the boats are just what everyone above has said they are. Uncomfortable as hell for anything but their intended purpose--skiing.

The only ski boat advice I know to give is one boat to avoid--MOOMBA. Have a good friend who used to own one of these. He was making a tight (very) turn in a slough and the boat flipped and almost killed him. This was in a new boat. Hull split down the center and the crack caught the water and threw the boat over. Luckily no one was seriously injured.

Boatman
03-15-2002, 04:55 PM
Agreed on all fronts (Nautiques are great, Avoid Moomba, Bow Rider will scoop lots of water, and the ride stinks in all of them). Your sons will probably tell you, but a ballast system and a flight pole (extended pole) are key components to good wakeboarding. If you're looking for something really entertaining to tow behind the boat, try checking out an "Air Chair".

Anyone looking for the ultimate slalom ski boat should consider a "J-Craft" made in Canada. They're a classic hull design and nothing beats them for free skiing. Hard to come by used, but relatively inexpensive and a blast to drive on calmer waters.

freeplay
03-15-2002, 05:20 PM
avicker~ back in the day (oh about 30 lbs. less) I had a Supra. The model was the "Beast" and that was about what it was. It basically was an "all arounder" type of ski boat that was an open bow. Kinda a family style boat. As far as the ride in any of them it's kinda like slapping a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood on the water. After about 3 seasons with that i ended up getting a good deal on a 1985 Supra Comp ts6m. Basically that was surpa's version of the Competion boat and also was used on the circuit. A word to the wise if your looking @ Supra's~ be sure to check the floors, most i've seen had some serious rot issues. In all, the two Supra's I had were very good reliable boats. The ts6m is generally selling used for 5-7k for a mid to late 80's boat. Good luck in your search! Cheers.....Chris

BigGrizzly
03-15-2002, 09:25 PM
Nauique is the one. Bow riders and wake bords don't worl well. In fact They nowhave water ballast io add stern weight to the boat. They ride rough but they on a dime when you get the hang of it. If its a older boat th best re the Nautique and Mastercraft.

Randy

classic18
03-15-2002, 11:21 PM
Hoked on ponics woorked for me!!!

AVickers
03-16-2002, 12:09 AM
Well,

I just returned home towing (not a boat) but a the family car with the front end pushed in. Compliments of the kid.

Ski boat idea is off...

Oh well. :o :o :mad: :mad:

Digger
03-16-2002, 08:14 AM
oh man that sucks....sorry to hear that...

CDMA
03-16-2002, 08:54 AM
Al,

Sorry to hear...I am sure he feels just as bad as you do.

Chris

Did you get the dash?

AVickers
03-16-2002, 09:12 AM
Actually, he feels worse...

Dumb **** was looking for the cell phone and not looking at the road. His mom says, "Relax, he's only a teenager."

There ain't enough booze...

Anyway, any funds that were going to go into a ski boat are now going into the front end of the car.

(Yeah, I got the parts. Thanks Chris.)

WarPath137
03-17-2002, 03:31 PM
get a mastercraft, you can get and early 90's one for around 10 k, check out flipsell.com (http://www.flipsell.com) wink

boxy
03-18-2002, 08:28 AM
I've been looking at ski-boats now for about 8 months, (Donzi for dad, or ski boat for the family ???) and all core wakeboard boats are now bow riders, but they are a little bit bigger than a core ski boat. Look for a good all around boat, but avoid v-drives if you want to ski.
Check out water ski mag's webpage, they have lots of info...

waterski mag (http://www.waterskimag.com/WS_Main/1,1812,7-1-16-0-0-0,00.html)