PDA

View Full Version : Hornet + and -

kamapmj
06-03-2002, 01:43 PM
I am looking at a 1977 Hornet with a new motor and would love to get some feedback as to the potential weak or problematic areas with this boat and it's age as well as strenghts. I am very familiar with Donzi as I have owned several, but am unfamiliar about the idosyncracies of the Hornet.

Also how big and what type of material was the factory fuel tank on these boats?

Any info would be extremely helpful.

RH
06-03-2002, 02:20 PM
I am new to the Donzi ranks with a 1972 Donzi Hornet. Aside from the great asthetic value of the boat, I really appreciate the way the boat handles. Alot of you may be laughing at me now, but this is the first "performance boat" that I have had the pleasure of owning. I have owned quite a few Centurys over the years and mostly inboards, so this is a nice experience for me. In my limited experience with my 1972 Hornet, It is a fun boat to run in rough water. It gives you a feeling of confidence, control and a solid feel. The quality of the hull layup is quite evident after 30 years of progressive maintenance.
I find that is is a very dry ride due to the extreme flare on the bow. Please note that I have only had it in the water 4 times, but it has been an absolute riot!
Just my .02 worth.

Forrest
06-03-2002, 02:22 PM
The Hornet II (1977) is a great boat. It's probably the one of the driest boat that I've ever ridden in the rough, and definitely the driest riding of all the classic Donzis. It's wide, stable, and the cockpit is roomy. The Hornet II goes easily through seas that an 18 would never handle. All that said, some Hornet IIs built around that time developed cracks in the hull along the stringers which are very difficult to repair. The correct repair requires removing the deck, running gear, and everything then inverting the hull. Look closely, especially on the starboard side around the lifting strakes. Also, the wood in the upholstery that runs around the cockpit tends to rot which requires some effort to replace. The 42 gal fuel tank is made of aluminum in 1977. If you find a good one - buy it!

RH
06-03-2002, 03:34 PM
Nice to have someone with the experience like Forrest on this site. He has the "skinny" on all of the Donzi models! Are there very many Hornet II's out there Forrest?
RH

MXRoadster
06-03-2002, 05:23 PM
Is that the one listed in Boat trader for sale here in Seattle? It looks good in the pictures; if you end up buying it make sure to bring to the South Puget Sound fun run.

Anyways I own a Hornet III and will agree with what has been said, I never realized how much wider and roomier the Hornet III is compared to a 22 Classic until I had mine sitting next to one in the water.

Oh yes, and the minus of buying that boat is you will loose track of everything else in your life and when you are not out cleaning, polishing, tinkering or actually on the water with the boat you will spend countless hours on this site learning as much as you can about yours and other Donzi boats. :D Ok, maybe thats just me.

David
And did I mention the South Puget Sound fun run :D