PDA

View Full Version : there boating on winni

waleyetwo
03-13-2002, 09:06 AM
people are on the like boating.first time in years that they could make there way this early.

ToonaFish
03-13-2002, 09:59 AM
We're expecting mid seventies this weekend... and some much needed rain for the lakes!

The Lanier boys are gonna be firing up the grill and the 22's soon!

Bunches,

Celene 'maters are planted'

Crazy Horse
03-13-2002, 03:52 PM
Pony Boy, Was talking with Cynthia (Naswa) and she said that the lake is so low docking is going to be a problem. You'll be able to walk out to the island! Lots of lower units are going to get damaged. You get your boat yet?

FASTEDDIE
03-13-2002, 04:42 PM
Last year the NASWA docks at Winni were quite high. You had to jump down into your boat and shinney up dock posts to get out. This summer there is probably going to have to be boarding ladders to get up to the docks before and after the Poker Run. How about nets like in the World War II movies. Crazy Horse, can you rent a crane?
eek! eek! eek!

Sam
03-13-2002, 05:48 PM
Welcome to the fun, I have had deck type steps down to my boat for the past two years. Lake Huron and surounding water is down three feet. From where I launch the Donzi it's a 150 yards of full trim up and hope you don't make a wrong turn. If you do your stuck,I found out the hard way. Oh well it's only water an mudd but god it's cold water. Good Luck !

Sam

waleyetwo
03-13-2002, 10:23 PM
well horseman you better know whare your going this year because there will be no mistakes or you will pay.but then again you know where your going so there shoulden't be a problum.but i'm surewe will get some rain and melted snow.then againwe have donzi's and they don't draft alot of water.but look on the bright side if the water is low we must help the lady's up and you know the winni bandet's that's not a bad thing right fast Edie? i'm sure you already thought of that you wildman.

Digger
03-14-2002, 09:29 AM
so the water will be low this summer? that is not good news for me. ....there hasn't much snow this year either, was there? my dock space in Winter Harbor may be too shallow. good news is I have a leave request in for last week in July thru first week in August!

waleyetwo
03-14-2002, 10:20 AM
we will get some rain soon we always do frown

Tim Howland
03-14-2002, 07:10 PM
Need to stay away from the North West corridor over by Melvin Village. My lower end is sitting on the bottom there somewhere! Brandy new re-pitched 19". Almost went in after it but swimming in 80-90 lube was not very appealing. Close those locks in Lakeport!

harbormaster
03-14-2002, 10:08 PM
What happened Tim??

Tim Howland
03-19-2002, 08:30 PM
Scot,

Winni Club members know this section of the lake as "the graveyard" for a reason. Although fairly well marked, there are, as New Hampshire Department of Marine Safety puts it, underwater obstructions, of which I launched my lower end with my better half in the boat doing "her" speed around 20 mph. At 48 I have been navigating Winni for 28 of those years, used to think I knew all of the waters, how wrong I was! My mechanic had some concerns for the rock! $2,800 later in September donziing once again.
Tim.

Looped
03-19-2002, 08:57 PM
Tim,
Were you going threw the markers or off to the mainland side over by Pier 19? I hate the fact that even when the water level is high on the lake you can still see the bottom clearly going the marker route. I am about a mile and a half away from that spot and for some reason I never trust it when I go over there.

Another spot you need to look out for is if you go threw the graveyard heading south and take a right over to Trexlers Marina you need to watch out for the channel area between Pleasant Island & Long Island. I face this area on Little Bear Island and I see lots of idiots just blow off the markers and then all of a sudden you see them pull back on the throttle because that area is just as shallow and with nasty boulders all over the place.

The land of the Glacier Lakes,
Craig

Digger
03-20-2002, 11:45 AM
I bet hole-in-the-wall is pretty shallow...it is scary to see the rocks come up out of nowhere, but given a choice between muddy water or clear water I'll take the clear. Boating here on the Potomac river, where you can't see down at all, is hairier than being able to see. I can't wait to live in a place that has clear water...

Looped
03-20-2002, 12:02 PM
The hole-in-the-wall is on the exact opposite side of my island and I remember when they had the power/telephone lines above ground on poles shooting across to Devens Island and then over to Cow Island. At that time we used to loose the power & phones all of the time when some idiot with a sailboat would go threw there under power and get caught up with the lines with there mast. Now at least they have the lines run under the water...
Everyone was always pissed at me every time I would go threw there with my Alumacraft full throttle as a little punk kid. Ah, the good old days when you had no worries :D

Craig

Digger
03-20-2002, 12:19 PM
reminds me of a story. we had a neighbor by the name of Harvey, lived around the corner from Swetts Point on Wingate cove. He was quite a personality, a bit rough around the edges, but also very stylish, and was not afraid of a cocktail, if you know what I mean. He had a 1950-something Shepherd runabout with a fireball (I seem to recall) inboard V-8. He was an avid waterskier in his day. When we knew him he was unable to waterski anymore, but he used to swear he did this end of season ritual every summer: after a "couple" cocktails (duh), he would dress in a tuxedo jacket with tails and swim trunks, and have his buddy tow him through hole-in-the-wall at full throttle. I remember my Pop used to call BS on him (loudly, this story was usually told at happy hour), particularly because of the slight turn required to get through the hole, and that it would be impossible to do it fast without running aground, but Harvey held his ground every time. Old Harvey has passed on now, bless him...I like to think he did it

waleyetwo
03-20-2002, 06:00 PM
hey looped i know whare your comming from. when i was a punk kid hey wait i'm still a kid. going down the channel full tilt but sallys gut was a bit scary.