PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 280 reverse lock question

raritan
03-12-2002, 12:34 PM
Anybody have a clue with regard to how to get this little mechanism to work?????

mattyboy
03-12-2002, 01:27 PM
Had problem with mine on a volvo 250 was a bad electrical connection, the solenoid wouldn't work
causing the lock to stay open, If you'd like I can fax a page of the setup from a 250 I would think the would be very close to the same
Matt

raritan
03-12-2002, 03:35 PM
Matty,
This drive doesnt have a solenoid. The latch is lifted up by a rod from the shift linkage. A solenoid would be a nice way to solve the problem.

boldts
03-12-2002, 04:05 PM
Does your drive have power trim? On my Volvo 250 which does not have power trim, there is a rod with a pad on the end that comes out of the tilt motor when you press the toggle switch to the up position. That rod out of the tilt motor then comes down to make contact with a smaller piece of linkage which sticks out above the drive ear where the tilt motor rod makes contact to lift the drive. When the tilt motor rod makes contact with the smaller piece of linkage, it releases the reverse lock from the shaft that the drive rests against during operation and thus allows the drive to be lifted.

Wish I had names for all those parts, but a picture would replace a thousand words in this case. I believe there were diagrams on a web site for Doug Russell drive parts. Not sure if the pictures are still there because the site was being redone last I looked. I can give you the site address when I get home from work.

Doug Russell is at: www.dougrussell.com (http://www.dougrussell.com) site is still Under Construction. I wish they would just put it back the way it used to be. You could look at the pictures, find the part you needed along with the part number, and place your order. Right now, you have to call and try to explain to the person what you need. They want to know what Volvo engine model you have. Not to many Donzis out there with a stock Volvo engine model number. Sorry, needed to vent a little. I used to really like this site.

BigGrizzly
03-12-2002, 06:27 PM
If yor powertilt is touching the rod it won't lock.

Randy