PDA

View Full Version : DONZI Dealer gone!And other stuff!

olredalert
11-17-2000, 06:39 PM
Was down on Jefferson Ave in Detroit today and decided to check on the status of the Fords Criterion one more time.Last time was probobly 2 years ago.Anyway,on the way down the entry drive to Miller Marine,the last local DONZI dealer,it hit me that the DONZI logo was gone off thier big sign.Hadnt been in that exact area in awhile but,sure enough,they have given up on Donzi.And they never even called me!
I got to tell you,kids,there is no where closer than Cleveland now to buy a DONZI,if you live anywhere in MI.For those of you not in the know The state of Michigan is one huge cash cow for boat manufacturers.DONZI needs a dealer up here.Heck,Sunsation basicly makes a living just off of MI.They sell enough boats just in MI.to keep thier Co.very busy.Cant believe there isnt one place up here to represent the greatest name in boating.Hope DONZI hears what Im saying.
Hey Bertram Boy.Found another 28 Baron.I have to say that this one is the best I have seen yet.Im going to try to go after it even though it is overpriced.Please refresh my memory,and tell me who had a hand in the design of the Baron.It looks so Aronow its hard to believe that Don didnt have some input in there somewhere!
Am also wondering if any Volvo later than 1970 can be converted to power trim?Sort of naive to the workings of Volvos.
Oh! and the Fords DONZI?It hasnt been used in five years and most definetly is not for sale!!!!!Oh Well.........just.........ol red!

Voodoocanoe
11-17-2000, 08:42 PM
You must be talking about the "Lion's Den" blue Donzi at Miller marina I have personally not seen that boat move in 10yrs let alone even have a cockpit cover on it the dock lines are all green with weeds on them from sitting in the water for all those years they just shore it up in that big covered well for the winter and drop it in the water in the spring to sit all summer.If you are interested in that Donzi sign I'll ask Chip or Nancy next time I see them if it is still around

olredalert
11-17-2000, 11:44 PM
Voodoocanoe,thanks for the return.Yes,I would be very interested in the sign!It looks like you just signed on .What kind of DONZI do you have or lust after?Us great lakers got to start to get together.A meet up here in MI.next summer would be great.Harsens island,or that vicinity would work.Possibly Metro Park.What do you guys think?............just.....ol red!

BERTRAM BOY
11-18-2000, 07:01 AM
Olred,
From speaking with factory directly, and lots of research, I have found that Bertram sport boats were all designed "in house". The didn't know who designed them specifically ,or just couldn't remember. All the original prints are gone!!!!!! Can you beleive that? gone!!!! At least, that's what I was told.
How much are they asking for the 28' Baron?
BERTRAM BOY

Tom on Lanier
11-18-2000, 08:08 AM
Redalert - just FYI. I was in Northern Michigan in Sept and ran across a Donzi dealer just North of Petosky. On the Crooked River near Alanson or Oden. Technically in Michigan but closer to Chris Riley than you. Actually, Clevland may be closer.
Does the Criterion you are talking about belong to THE Fords?
BTW, I enjoy your posts here.

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

Tony
11-18-2000, 08:36 AM
Red,

There is a Donzi dealer a lot closer to you than Cleveland...he is in Brooklyn, the Irish Hills area, just SE of Jackson. Another one is in Grand Rapids.

Count me in on any Michigan get togethers next summer. I know that Chris Riley in Cederville has proposed one to take place in the Les Cheaneaux Islands area, and that sounds awesome to me. I planning on a week up there next summer, get together or not.

GeneD
11-18-2000, 09:15 AM
JOR,
See if you can get the sign from them!!!!!!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

olredalert
11-18-2000, 11:24 AM
Wow,seems to be a few people on this morning.
Bertram Boy,price was a cool $46000.Dealer says,clearly that is out of sight.Im supposed to make an offer.Not really good at making offers.I feel its worth $25000 to $30000.Hard to offer lower than that and keep up any dialogue.Got to work out some strategy.BTW I talked to the guy that owns the other Baron last night.A year and a half ago he also had a Cobalt and a DONZI Corsican.Claimed the DONZI had a big block Chev in it and went a hundred miles an hour.Thats 100MPH!!!!!!!Not sure what he was smoking.
Tomahawk,Yes thats THE FORDS.And the info elsewhere is correct!
Tony,Your info about the other dealers has been well recieved I can tell you.However it still just doesnt seem right not to have a dealer on Jefferson Ave.BTW It was Miller Marine that told me there were no more DONZI dealers in MI.I should have done some homework on that prior to my little outburst.
GeneD,Would love to find out if back in the early days,there was any sort of standard dealer sign.Probobly not,but it would be cool for DONZI to market something like that for the faithful.There is definetly some room on my garage wall for that.
Once again thanks to all!..........just..........ol red!

Ranman
11-18-2000, 07:37 PM
Oldrdealert, I usually deal with Sun and Ski Marine. They are a local Donzi dealer on Cass Lake in either Walled Lake or Waterford. I would love to meet with other Donzi owners next summer out on Lake St Clair. Metro beach, Strawberry Island, Harsens etc.. would be great. There's nothing like running 70mph in an 18 out there. I get guys in 24 to 28 footers looking at me like I'm crazy cause they're getting beat up so badly by the chop.

MattM
11-20-2000, 09:02 AM
That lighted Donzi sign that has sat in Miller marine for so many years was the standard sign dealers used back when. I have offerred to buy that from them on 3 occasions over the last 8 years with no luck, on occasions that they weren't Donzi dealers. They just liked the sign. I'd be real interested in one if it were available.

Peter Beck
11-21-2000, 06:36 AM
I believe Toledo has a Donzi dealer.

olredalert
11-21-2000, 02:02 PM
Peter Beck,
Thanks for the update about the Toledo dealership.Noticed you hail from Napoleon OH. Im sure you have probobly run across my old pal Terry Michaelis of Pro Team fame.Do you guys actually run boats in that river close to Napoleon?I havent seen much of it but the river didnt seem big enough for any kind of speed runs.Of course,maybe you guys just go up to the big lake...............just........ol red!