PDA

View Full Version : Problems with low dash?

Stix Magill
06-02-2002, 03:31 PM
If any of you have had problems with your contacts drying out, rain pelting your face, etc., checkout windaway.com. My wife loves the Donzi, but complained about the wind if I went over 40 or so. I found these on the net and now I go as fast as I want! I purchased two for my Minx and they really do a great job. I like to feel the wind most of the time, but it is nice to have the choice. They are almost invisible most of the time. I caught them at an agle for photo purposes.
If any of you have a question about them let me know by email. stixmagill@hotmail.com http://www.donzi.net/photos/ssmith2002.jpg

Dr. Dan
06-02-2002, 09:07 PM
Stix, Really Nice looking ride wink , yes I am the resident expert on contacts being removed from my eyes at speed! I finally got the right kind of Sunglasses that wrap around and drop down my face just enough to keep them in! :rolleyes: Today we had major wind and some major chop, and I had no problemo! I am sure those wind screens would help too... :D ...Doc

harbormaster
06-02-2002, 10:14 PM
LASER SURGERY.
I recommend it highly.

Hey LIZ! email me a mailing address. I have a George Bush Keychain from the Presidential Inauguration.

AVickers
06-03-2002, 10:34 AM
I've worked out a simple solution to this that was cheap -- less than $75 -- and so effective that I don't need sunglasses, even at 60MPH.

The windshields on the '86 or so 22' Classics had "eyelashes" in front of the driver and passenger that stuck up above the windshield and acted as "kickers" for wind and other objects (bugs and raindrops). Goofy-looking, but effective.

During the course of events for my boat, the windshield was changed out for a flat piece of smoked plex that didn't have the kickers on it -- much better looking, but not very effective as a shield. The new boats don't use kickers and for me, it's a real problem. In fact, the windshield height was such that it channeled wind right up into my face, eyes and ears. (My ears would ring for days after a day out on the boat. I was on the verge of removing the windshield altoghether.)

Anyway, I fashioned a piece of acrylic that attaches to the top edge of the windscreen that resembles the eyelashes, except that it runs the full width of the screen between the uprights (A-pilars in cartalk). The piece was 4' long by 6" wide bent to a 90 degree angle along its length. I drilled and tapped three 3/8" holes in the windshield and attached stainless Allen-head pan-head screws from the front -- all you can see when the kicker is off is the button heads of the screws. I drilled 1/2" holes in the kicker and it attaches to the back side of the windshield w/ wingnuts. The crease of the fold aligns w/ the top of the windshild and there's a 3" extension sticking up an over the top of the shield -- just like the eyelashes used to do... Overall, it adds about 2" to the height of the whole windscreen and it works MUCH better than I thought it would.

I used clear so it doesn't show much as the eyelashes did. Also, I can have it on or off in a matter of less than a minute. In fact, it stores upside down on the same bolts that hold it upright -- I haven't had to modify the cochpit cover at all. As a bonus, it has strengthened the top edge of the windshield.

No patents applied for...copy at will. I'll post pictures when/if I get a digital camera. :p