PDA

View Full Version : Vortec engine swap?

MXRoadster
06-01-2002, 03:53 PM
Ok here is my situation I need to replace the motor in the Hornet and I need to do it quickly with as little problems as possible. Right now I am considering a vortec base engine from Marine Engines (http://www.1800runsnew.com/gm04.htm) I currently have a Merc260 (1983 350 Chev block), I just talked to Marine Engines and they said the only additional things I need to buy is a flywheel, coupler and electric fuel pump to make the switch to the vortec engine. Is this true? Or will I have to replace other parts to make the switch.

I do plan on replacing the exhaust manifolds, but is it required?

Will this swap be as simple as it seems or should stay with a pre-85 rebuilt long block?

Thanks, David

Greg
06-01-2002, 09:48 PM
The exhaust openings in the Vortec heads are larger (taller I believe) than in the heads you are now using. According to the SBC Marine Performance book the Vortec engine should out perform the non-vortec engine. I wish I had some "seat of the pants" experience to share with you, but I am not in the water yet. Good Luck

CDMA
06-01-2002, 10:05 PM
That is a quick and easy way for sure and you will have excellent results. The time and effort it will take to convert from the old style to the vortech will be worth the effort in the long run in terms of performance, longevity and reliability. The only negative aspect I see, and the reason I did not go that route, was for equal or less money you can have a privately built 350 or 383 that will give you more power and performance. But if ease and hassle is the #1 priority sounds like you are on the right track.

Chris

Rootsy
06-01-2002, 10:12 PM
exhaust ports and mounting pattern is the same as the pre-vortec motor.. the intake ports are the major difference... tall and skinny vs short and fat as the previous versions... intake manifold is unique to this cylinder head and the harmonic balancer is different also.. 8 inch vs 6 3/4 which also leads to the flywheel being of a different imbalance. the cylinder block however is the same as what you have now.. major difference being piston design, cylinder heads, intake manifold mounting pattern, balancer and flywheel for the most part, the water pump is also unique in order to clear the plastic timing chain cover unless replaced with a steel cover from earlier motors. How complete is the motor you plan to purchase?

hope this helps a bit, i am sure i missed something somewhere... but it may give you an idea.

Jamie

MXRoadster
06-01-2002, 11:40 PM
Jamie, this link shows the motor Marine Engines (http://www.1800runsnew.com/gm04.htm)
It comes with the intake and harmonic balancer, so they won’t be an issue. With the different water pump (it comes with the new motor) will the pulley’s line up or will I need different ones?

Chris, yes I am looking for simple and hassle free swap. I can have my motor rebuilt for a few dollars less with more hp than this vortec motor, but it could take up to six weeks and that is not a good thing this time of the year.

Thanks for your help, David

oldLenny
06-01-2002, 11:49 PM
'ROADSTER,...get that thing runnin'!!! You got 20 days 'till the South Puget Sound Fun Run and I want to see it!

Best of luck, hope it all goes well.
:D
I am not a "motorhead" so to speak, so I can't help you. Sorry.

...but!!! you are definately in good hands here!

MXRoadster
06-01-2002, 11:59 PM
Yes Lenny I feel the presure eek! I need to know if I'm going to run in to any problems because I'm not much of a motorhead either, I'm the remove and replace kind of guy wink

I might have to bring some paddles to the South Puget Sound Fun Run :D
David

oldLenny
06-02-2002, 12:09 AM
'Roadster...No biggy. I'd be happy to get a picture of me EVEN paddling in a Donzi :rolleyes:

We can tell 'em it has an Arneson, no trans, and we don't want to scare the ducks... :D

Look forward to meeting you. Lenny

MXRoadster
06-02-2002, 12:16 AM
Don't worry Lenny I'm sure we will get a picture of you actually driving the Hornet. I will have it back together by then and besides I think I work better under pressure anyways.

David

Cuda
06-02-2002, 02:20 AM
I swapped an 81 305 for a 350 Vortec. I had quite a few things to change, I don't know if they relate to the 85 sbc or not, but I'll tell you what we ran into. First of all, the 305 had log style manifolds, and the 350 had center risers, so the exhaust wouldn't hook up. My mech suggested that since I had to change that, he would like to see me upgrade to an Alpha drive (the 305 had a type R drive). Since the 350 was wider than the 305 due to the center riser manifolds, I had to reroute the the fuel fill, as it wouldn't fit down in the bilge. I think if you are already running an Alpha, a lot of this wouldn't aply.
Bottom line, the engie swap that I thought would cost $2000 (bought the engine with 30 freshwater hours for $1750), ended up costing a tad over $7500 when all was said and done. I also burned a drive coupler two weeks after the swap. :mad:

MXRoadster
06-03-2002, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the input, but after doing a search here on the site I found a post and a link to a local company that builds 383 stroker motors for reasonable price. DRS inc (http://www.drs1.net/main.htm)

I looked up Doug’s Racing Stables with the stage II engine and this started a whole new plan since Doug’s is located about 10 miles away from me. So this afternoon I made a visit and talked to Mike about what I wanted and what he can do for me. Now it is now a done deal for their stage II 383 motor, so now my wallet is a little lighter (or is the credit card bill a little heavier?) and next week I will pickup my new motor.

Well it now looks like I’ll be running a stock 350 just like CDMA wink

David