PDA

View Full Version : I am not an idiot...

jeepfan99
06-18-2003, 08:21 AM
I just do not want to make an idiot mistake. I have a 22zx with the Merc 350 MPI. I notice that the drive fluid is below the add line, not enough to sound the alarm, but still low. My question is what type of fluid do I want to add to the reservoir? I have spoken with three different people on this subject and they all call it something different. Is gear lube, gear case oil and drive fluid all the same thing? Should I only add Merc high performance gear lube or can I add Quicksilver or Sierra high performance? I understand you should not mix grades or synthetic. Also, how much of this fluid is commonly used? Should I get the 10 oz tube or get a quart to have some around? I would rather ask a dumb question than be that guy that thinks he knew what he was doing turning a $5 issue into a $1000 problem. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Ranman
06-18-2003, 09:19 AM
Should I only add Merc high performance gear lube Yes. Assuming the liquid in the tank is blue in color (which it should be), you should only use Merc High Perf gear lube. There are other alternatives such as one from Redline, but since you're just adding to what's there and not changing the fluid, use the Merc High Perf stuff. It's all I use and I change it a couple of times every season.

Donzigo
06-18-2003, 09:54 AM
DITTO to Ranman's post.

2biguns
06-18-2003, 09:56 AM
Ditto and buy the quart.

Greg Maier
06-18-2003, 07:51 PM
Since your drive oil has your attention at the moment, go ahead and change the oil. It sounds to me like you have never drained it before. Is this boat new? If not, do you know when the last it was changed ? Some of the high horsepower guys swear by redline oil. I put some Redline in my Blackhawk and so far far so good.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
06-18-2003, 08:40 PM
I also ditto the RANMAN, my last Donzi had the very same set up. 86 ounces I believe, check your book to be sure. They drain slow, be patient to get it all out.... Then also check for any sludge in the reserve bottle, might as well also make sure the two connections are clean and shiney at this point!

Also a good time to change the Merc washers on the top and bottom drive drain screws, they do wear, or at least mine do, they get a groove wore in them after time. They are cheap, 4 for about $2.00 from BAM. I put a new ones on every time I change fluids on the Bravo, I know, over kill....
Good luck
Bryan

jeepfan99
06-19-2003, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the responses. The boat is a 2000 with approximately 58hrs. on it. I am very new to the boating world, a true rookie. Could someone outline the procedure on changing the drive fluid? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again for all your help.

jeepfan99
06-19-2003, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the responses. The boat is a 2000 with approximately 58hrs. on it. I am very new to the boating world, a true rookie. Could someone outline the procedure on changing the drive fluid? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again for all your help.

Greg Maier
06-19-2003, 09:36 PM
What kind of outdrive is it, an Alpha or Bravo? If a Bravo, it is a simple job. Pull the plugs, drain the oil. Refill from the bottom plug using an outdrive oil pump, pump oil until it comes out of the top plug. Put both plugs in and top off at the bottle. Bottle will drain a little till all the air is out of the system. If it is an Alpha, it might be just as easy, but I have never done it so I don't know.

jeepfan99
06-20-2003, 07:55 AM
It's a Bravo one. Thanks for the help Greg.

Ranman
06-20-2003, 08:21 AM
OK, Here's the procedure the best I know it for a Bravo. The Alpha is the same except for the bottom plug, which is on the side of the Alpha drive (on the bullett) below the propshaft centerline.

1. Remove prop. (Not required for Alpha)

2. Remove reservoir fill cap

3. Remove upper vent plug from the side of the drive (large flathead screw).

4. Remove lower plug located just below the propshaft (looks just like the upper, a flathead screw) and let drive fluid drain. Don't forget to clean the magnetic plug.

5. Once the drive is empty, you refill from the bottom plug up to the top plug. You will need 2 quarts of Hi-perf drive oil. There is also a handy little pump that attaches to a quart bottle of drive oil and also screws into the bottom plug hole that lets you hand pump the oil into the drive. Get one and use it to fill the drive. The drive will take somewhere around a quart and a half. Just fill the drive until the oil starts to trickle out of the top vent plug.

6. Reinstall vent plugs, top off reservoir and reinstall cap.

7. Congratulations!

Greg Maier
06-20-2003, 09:10 AM
Ranman,

Thanks for clarifying those details that I missed.

Rootsy
06-20-2003, 09:48 AM
the alpha bottom drain plug is near the front of the gearcase bullet BELOW the propshaft centerline.