PDA

View Full Version : bummer

RPD
05-31-2002, 09:22 PM
Well.. the Gulf Coast is all saltwater so for years I have used a galvanized Gator all roller/tilt trailer... the advantage is I never dunk my trailer, just back it until the tires (no metal) are in the water and let the boat off, cranking the handle in reverse... coming back on is the same except last year I put on a power winch so it's just flick a switch and the boat loads itself... the trailer is now 26 years old and looks brand new....

BUT, tonight I was doing my usual Friday night routine of launching the boat to go out to dinner, planned to check the work on the beach condo along the way,....Anyway, I wasn't paying attention and my hand slipped off the winch handle and the boat (all roller trailer, remember) proceeded to unload itself... I jumped back to get out of the way of the handle, which flew off the winch, THROUGH the back hatch window of my tow vehicle, which completely shattered, and landed 25 yards away.... I would have just gone on out to dinner but since I had lots of boat gear in the jeep which now couldn't be locked, I had to abort the evening...

It wasn't the window that bummed me out... it was not being able to go out by DONZI tonight, especially since the next two weekends are taken up with business travel....