PDA

View Full Version : Help with 351 H/M water pump

JWCall
06-16-2003, 05:31 PM
I was at the Lake George Dust Off this weekend. I had the white and orange '68 barrel back. On sunday I was going on the cruise with you guys when there was a pop and the engine just died. We couldn't get her goin again, so I had to get towed home. Then today I found out that the water pump had seized up. Unfortunatly the water pump was directly connnected to the crank. The crankshaft had to have broken but now its just a matter of if I need a new block or not. I was just wondering if anyone had put a belt driven water pump on there 351. If so I would like to know the belt setup you have and any part numbers from the pulleys that you have. I also have a power steering pump. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Moody Blu'
06-16-2003, 07:23 PM
the crank driven ones pump more water then the belt driven ones for obvious reasons.

it sounds like your saying your pump seized and ruined your crank? I find that little far fetched, but hell crazier has happened.The crank driven pumps have a rubber pice in the middle and if the pump siezed up the crank would break the pump and laugh at it.

Imho the crank driven belt gives you less to worry about(having another belt to wear or break)
Although, switching to a belt driven pump would definatly help the ever going problem with wearing out alternator belts on the h/m 351. on my h/m the alt belts wear very quickly and you have to change them alot, so getting rid of the water pump would make changing belts even faster.

knee deep
06-16-2003, 08:00 PM
Curiosity question, my boat is a 1968 and has a 351W with a Volvo 270. The huge question is when did Volvo introduce the 270 series drive? I know it was available in '72 when my dad bought his first boat but not sure how much further back?

Think I'll change my belts..........

MOP
06-16-2003, 10:18 PM
I also take offense to that allegation :D Most belt driven pumps are turned a little slower but have bigger impellers and move water as efficiently as the crank pumps and do last a bit longer. I personally love the crank type, even though they wear out a little more quickly, also no belt to Futz with nor the added drag from belt and pulley friction.

BigGrizzly
06-16-2003, 11:02 PM
Ok guys listen up. The H&M pump is a jasco belt driven pump with the back plate removed and screwed to a matal plate and mounted across the front of the engine. the pulley end is changed to a plate with a hydraulic pump dampener cusion from a log splitter then a 4 bolt drive plate is inserted into the belt pullies on the harmonic balancer. The only plus or minus is there is no belt. The internals are the same and all parts are available. I like crank driven pumps but don't have it on my Criterion because it won't fit with my blower drive pulley. Remember with the rubber impeller pumps in your boat only so much voulum and pressure is reched than the vanes no longer touch the sides of the pump housing. However the water pressure will still increase because the water pickup in your lower unit or hull pickup whichever you have is having water forced into it.

JW the pump shaft is only 3/8 thick and not strong enough to break the crank it would have to be the other way around and seized the pump

mattyboy
06-16-2003, 11:04 PM
JW,
I have the same setup on my 351w, the crank driven pumps have a rubber star shaped spacer that cushion the teeth on the pump from the teeth on the crank( the pulley for the alternator) it that falls apart then it's metal on metal then the teeth break (when I replaced mine it was cracked)
then the impellor don't spin, no water then well it ain't good from there.
I like the crank driven ones no belt to change, just the impellor and the spacer.

I was a pleasure to met Your Father and you.
keep us posted
good luck
Matty

mattyboy
06-16-2003, 11:10 PM
yeah what Griz said he beat me to it

JWCall
06-17-2003, 07:41 AM
Thanks guys,
I have a friend whos the owner of the yellow and black '69 that was at Lake George this weekend and he's a mechanic. Today we hope to take the engine out and find out how bad it is. He has a 302 that he put a belt driven water pump on and it took him a couple of trips to the junkyard and alot of screwin' around to get his setup to work. What do you guys think of the March Serpentine conversion kits. They are all billet aluminum and they give you all of the brackets and pulleys.(Thats only if a new block is needed and we go with a 302)

Rick
06-17-2003, 08:13 AM
The cool thing about the Lovejoy coupler (the star), was that I got the numbers off the old one ordered two from Grainger for $3.07 a piece. I think they were the cheapest things with the exception of some fastners. On the wearing of the alternator belts check to see if your allignment is good. I had a mount plate tweeked (the big flat one that mounts to the block) on one of my motors, bent it back and good to go! Rick

penbroke
06-17-2003, 12:09 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I agree with the others here that the crank would likely rip the water pump right off and keep going till the engine over heated rather than break.

I have a '66 18 with a Ford 289 Interceptor drive package. It has a belt driven water pump located about where your steering pump is. (I saw your boat at the Dust Off.)

You are welcome to take a look at mine if you think it would help. I am about 1-3/4 hours away from Lake George in Vermont. I'll dig around to see if I have any photos that may help you.

Good luck!
Frank
Collecting dust for next year.