PDA

View Full Version : Loose Trim pump

Ranman
05-30-2002, 02:29 PM
Cumberland has taken its toll on my trim pump mounting and I need some solid advise. My trim pump is mounted on the floor next to the engine. It's like on the "shelf" right behind one of the access covers. It's held in with 6 #10 x 3/4 self tapping screws. These screws have worked themselves loose once or twice before, but now the holes seem to be stripping. What is the best way to repair this and hold the trim pump secure without the screws coming loose in the future. Should I go up to a #12 or #14 self tapping screw and use the same holes? Should I fill the holes with epoxy and use the #10 screws? What is best to coat the screws with? Any advise is apprecieted.

CDMA
05-30-2002, 03:27 PM
Can you thru bolt it?

Chris

Ranman
05-30-2002, 03:32 PM
Chris, Wish I could. That would be the easy answer. Problem is that the pump is too far back towards the transom for thru-bolting. I don't think I could reach far enough back to get it. Would have been best, if it could have been done.

Tom Davis
05-30-2002, 04:04 PM
Hey Ranman,
Heres my.02 Go two sizes up on the hardware, use a good two part epoxy to put the screws in, but before you do, coat the bottom of the mounting surface with 3m 5200, this will both adhere a larger surface to the boat and act as a self forming rubber gasket. The trim pump will never get loose again, :D only one problem, it will be Extremely hard to replace/remove if it breaks down. :mad:
PS: give Donzi-Jen a big squeeze from me and the Winni Bandits, hope to see you two for the poker run in NH

Rootsy
05-30-2002, 06:31 PM
Randy,

looks like you need one of those young limber skinny guys to shimmy down into those tight spots eh... Think we all know the right guy for the job... right chris? :D :) :p

by the way Chris, how's that "stock" 350 coming along?

Sam
05-30-2002, 08:59 PM
Re drill the holes and set the new screws in with "Marinetex". This stuff is the best bar none.

Sam

Donzigo
05-30-2002, 09:07 PM
Ranman,

I had the same problem with my trim pump. After dealing with this problem twice, I found that bigger crews, etc, aren't the answer. So,I decided to do something different. I took the trim pump and the two solenoids off of that sorry trip bracket, that eventually rusts in every boat I've ever owned also gets in the way of engine access, and made a square piece about 10 inches by 10 inches out of 1/2 inch starboard and put them on it. I mounted that assembly on the front firewall of the engine. You do have to extend the pump hydrolic lines, as well. but, since hydrolic fluid doesn't compress, it works just fine. I now have more access to the engine and checking the fluid is a snap, because I can do it from the back seat. I wonder why Mercury didn't do it this way all along. Maybe the cost of the additonal hydrolic hoses. It's a great improvement.

My 2 cents!

Looped
05-30-2002, 09:12 PM
How about drilling them out a bit larger, cut some threaded stainless rods to size so that will all be at the correct height and to allow enough room for lock washers and nuts to fit on them. Once they are all dry tested, 5200 (or a strong 2-part epoxy) them in with a cardboard template holding the tops of the threaded rods aligned for the 3M 5200 (or a strong 2-part epoxy) to setup over night and then tighten them all down with self locking nuts too so they will not back off. This way it’s in there good and you can always remove it easily.

Craig

Donzified
05-30-2002, 09:37 PM
Epoxy in one size larger srews...Glue it down......Even 5200 gives up to a red hot blade when you need to remove it.

Did i see your red rocket at gull last weekend?

I have a prop on thats to small...it's like driving with bald tires on wet pavement.

Life is good!

Brad Lyon
05-30-2002, 09:49 PM
Randy,

At any woodworkers supply store you can purchase brass threaded inserts. They have a UNC or UNF inside thread with a coarse wood outside thread. Epoxy them in and use straight thread bolts with lock washers.

I have some #8-32 and 1/4-20 sizes in my basement that you are welcome to if you want to give them a try. Sorry I dont have any #10 size.

Brad

Ranman
05-31-2002, 08:10 AM
THanks everyone for the responses. I'll be working on the problem tonight.

Keith, Indeed you did see me at Gull on Monday. I saw you pulling in but never found you after that. I hope to be out there tomorrow. Randy